Indian-Spiced Coconut Yam Soup
Author: Melissa Costello
Recipe type: Soup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 3 large garnet yams, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups vegetable broth or bullion (2 cubes with 4 cups water)
- 1 15-ounce can coconut milk
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat and sauté the ginger, garlic, celery, and onion until translucent and soft.
- Add the garam masala and stir to combine to release the flavor of the spice.
- Add the carrots, yams, and veggie broth.
- Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, and cover. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until the yams are soft.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the coconut milk.
- Puree using a hand blender until creamy smooth and season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with cinnamon, to taste, before serving.
Calories: 190 Fat: 13g Saturated fat: 10g Carbohydrates: 17g Sodium: 240mg Fiber: 3g Protein: 2g Cholesterol: 0mg
Recipe by Webicurean at http://blog.webicurean.com/2013/02/27/indian-spiced-coconut-yam-soup/