Pork Chops and Sweet Potato Gravy
Contributed with permission by Louisiana Sweet Potatoes and ARA Content.
Author: Louisiana Sweet Potatoes
Recipe type: Main
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pounds pork scaloppini (thin cuts of pork medallions) or boneless pork chops
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups thinly sliced onions
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 pound sweet potatoes (yams), baked, peeled and mashed or 1 (15-ounce) can sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced green onions
- In a small bowl, combine paprika, garlic powder, cayenne, salt and pepper. Sprinkle both sides of pork with seasoning.
- In large skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, over high heat, heat oil and brown pork on each side. Remove and set aside.
- Add flour, stirring constantly to brown the flour. Add onions and sautÃ© until almost tender, about five minutes. Stir in pecans. Add water and bring to a boil. Gradually add sweet potatoes and blend until smooth. Stir in syrup.
- Return pork to pan, reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the pork is done, stirring occasionally. If gravy gets too thick, add water. Sprinkle with green onions and serve. Makes six servings.