Hot Pastrami Sliders #SundaySupper

by Anne Papina on August 17, 2014

Hot Pastrami Sliders #SundaySupper | Webicurean

It’s hard to believe summer is nearly a fait accompli, and soon we’ll be counting the days until winter break. Getting meals on the table in short order can be a challenge, so this week #SundaySupper has culled an assortment of quick and easy meals to get you off on the right foot. Tammi over at Momma’s Meals and Gwen from Simply Healthy Family are hosting this week’s event, and my contribution to the table is a platter of these super tasty hot pastrami sliders.

cheerleaders

Rah rah ree, kick ‘em in the knee! Rah rah rass, kick ‘em in the other knee! On a cold summer’s day in SF, after a long practice, we must look like the sorriest bunch of cheerleaders anyone has ever seen!

Now that we’re in the spirit … Did you know pastrami found its way to us via Romania, where it was a popular wind-dried meat? (Oxford Companion to Food 1999.)  The process has evolved over the years, and now it’s typically brined in a spiced mixture, then smoked or steamed. Thanks to the modern deli, though, all that hard work is already done for us!

The idea for these hot pastrami sliders started when my buddy Nicole over at Daily Dish Recipes whipped up some Saucy Roast Beef and Swiss Sliders.  After I made these, the wheels began to turn… the possibilities seemed endless! I then noticed a ham and cheese version all over the place. Soon I could think of nothing but these hot pastrami sliders.

Note, I used King’s Hawaiian Savory Butter rolls; however, feel free to experiment with other rolls–I picked these because they’re just the right size, and conveniently, one package makes one recipe. Prepare the sandwiches right in your baking pan, slather the buttery sauce on top, sprinkle with a generous amount of caraway seeds, and your hot pastrami sliders will be ready in a New York minute. Just serve them with some Russian dressing for dipping and a heaping pile of these refrigerator pickles.

Hot Pastrami Sliders #SundaySupper | Webicurean

There’s not much too this. Assemble the sandwiches on a baking pan, slather the buttery sauce on top, then sprinkle with caraway seeds.

Hot Pastrami Sliders #SundaySupper | Webicurean

About 20 minutes later, you’ll have cheesy, pastrami perfection.

Hot Pastrami Sliders #SundaySupper | Webicurean

Figure two per person, or more. :)

Here’s the printer-friendly version:

Hot Pastrami Sliders

Soft buttery rolls are filled with pastrami and cheese, sauced up, then baked until golden and bubbly, making an irresistible hot pastrami slider.
Recipe type: Sandwich
Cuisine: American
Serves: 6
  • 1 pkg (12 count) King's Hawaiian Savory Butter Rolls
  • 12 slices pastrami
  • 6 slices smoked provolone or baby Swiss cheese, cut in half
Sauce
  • ¼ cup butter, melted
  • 2 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 2 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1-2 tbsp caraway seeds
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Cut rolls in half, and arrange the bottoms on a baking dish. Fold the pastrami slices to fit the roll, and place on the bottom of each roll. Top that with a half slice of cheese, folded over, then replace the top to each roll.
  3. Whisk together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl, then brush over each slider until all the sauce is gone. Generously sprinkle the tops with the caraway seeds.
  4. Cover tightly with foil, and bake for about 15 minutes (or until the cheese is melted). Remove foil, then return to the oven for another 5 minutes or until the rolls start to crisp.

Look at all the other wonderful options our group has for you today!

Back to School Beginnings

Back to School Lunches and Simple Suppers

Back to School Sips

Back to School Super Snacks

Back to School Sweets and Treats

Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET.  Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

Liz August 17, 2014 at 4:30 am

Oh, that gooey cheese is SO enticing! LOVE the old photo, too! Such fun memories :)
Liz recently posted..Berry Topped Chocolate Silk Tart #SundaySupperMy Profile

Marion@Life Tastes Good August 17, 2014 at 5:30 am

Ahhhhh great memories! What is about sliders that make them so much better?! We just love ‘em and these sound like a must try! Your photos are making me drool :)
Marion@Life Tastes Good recently posted..Nutty Granola Recipe #SundaySupperMy Profile

Betsy Cohen August 17, 2014 at 5:32 am

I will, definitely, have to figure ‘or more’ per person!!
Betsy Cohen recently posted..Open Face PB&J Cookies #SundaySupperMy Profile

Nichole August 17, 2014 at 6:41 am

Ummm, I’ll take two, please? These look awesome!
Nichole recently posted..chicken + zucchini meatballs #sundaysupperMy Profile

Marlene @Nosh My Way August 17, 2014 at 7:19 am

Dang girl! Now this is how you do it. I wish there was food bloggers when my kids were little. So many great recipes to try and this one is on top of my list.
Marlene @Nosh My Way recently posted..Baked Chicken Breast Nuggets {Low Carb} #SundaySupperMy Profile

Tara August 17, 2014 at 8:31 am

I am drooling looking at these, I have to make them this week!!!
Tara recently posted..Playground Granola Bars for #SundaySupperMy Profile

Christy @ Confessions of a Culinary Diva August 17, 2014 at 8:46 am

What a fun back to school meal! I definitely feel in the school spirit – by the way, my school colors were red and gold too :)
Christy @ Confessions of a Culinary Diva recently posted..#SundaySupper – The Duffin aka Cinnamon Sugar Donut MuffinsMy Profile

Simply Gourmet August 17, 2014 at 12:51 pm

If I could lick the screen and taste this, I would. I am not ashamed. LOL I love pastrami and your sliders are perfect. I found that Schar has a great gluten free bread that allows me to once again enjoy a sandwich of this caliber. YUM
Simply Gourmet recently posted..Owl Bento Box #SundaySupperMy Profile

Gwen @simplyhealthyfamily August 17, 2014 at 1:20 pm

I love it! This will be a great spin on boring sandwiches. thanks so much for sharing! OXOX
Gwen @simplyhealthyfamily recently posted..Peanut Butter and Jelly Popcorn #SundaySupperMy Profile

Katie August 17, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Now that is some serious sandwich goodness!!!!
Katie recently posted..Parmesan Garlic Oven Roasted Chickpeas for #SundaySupperMy Profile

Amee August 17, 2014 at 5:57 pm

You’re making me crave a late night snack! These sandwiches look heavenly!
Amee recently posted..Clean-Eating Lunches Your Kids Will Love #SundaySupperMy Profile

Soni August 18, 2014 at 10:02 am

Ooh love the warm melted cheese and your sandwich looks very tempting indeed :) I’ll be happy to see them on my plate anytime!
Soni recently posted..Spaghetti with Chicken Meatballs #backtoschool #SundaySupperMy Profile

Shaina August 18, 2014 at 10:33 am

Those rolls look so crispy and delicious after coming out of the oven!
Shaina recently posted..Immaculate Brownies with Chocolate Chip Cookie CrustMy Profile

Sarah August 18, 2014 at 1:36 pm

My stepfamily eats these all the time! Love the mini size
Sarah recently posted..Apple – Oat Breakfast Cookies (Back to School #SundaySupper)My Profile

Claudia August 19, 2014 at 2:43 pm

So delectable! That appears to be irresistible.
Claudia recently posted..Jak dobrać na wyjście buty skórzane?My Profile

Cindys Recipes and Writings August 19, 2014 at 3:29 pm

You are taking me back to my deli days! Yum!
Cindys Recipes and Writings recently posted..Broccoli Pesto SauceMy Profile

Tanya September 18, 2014 at 7:49 am

I haven’t had pastrami in forever! These look great. I love the buns you chose to put it on too, soo good.
Tanya recently posted..5 Ways For Employees to Trust One AnotherMy Profile