(ARA) – Summer’s bounty of fresh veggies and fruit can make meal time fun. Colorful plates prevail as flavorful fruits and vegetables can be added at any meal. Serving these fresh treats with high-quality protein foods like eggs, lean meat and cheese will help keep appetites satisfied longer for hours of fun-in-the-sun this summer.
Protein fuels physical activity and helps muscles recover and rebuild after exercise. It also aids in weight loss efforts by keeping your appetite satisfied longer. This summer, remember to pair fresh fruits and vegetables with protein-rich foods like nature’s own miracle food, the egg.
Eggs contain the highest quality protein found in any food because they provide all the essential amino acids your body needs in a near-perfect pattern. Versatile and portable, the all-natural egg is a protein powerhouse that is the perfect addition to any summer meal and can easily be combined with a variety of tasty summer time ingredients for flavorful and nutritious meals morning, noon or night.
Scrambled eggs or omelets are a natural when looking for a quick summer meal that won’t heat up the kitchen. Turn them into a fun summer treat by letting everyone pick their favorite garden fresh additions and top with a mango chutney or homemade salsa.
Here’s a fun protein-rich recipe to try this summer:
- ½ cup shredded cucumber (about one medium-sized cucumber)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 hard-cooked eggs
- ¼ cup low-fat dairy sour cream
- ¼ teaspoon dill weed
- Carrot, radish and celery garnishes, optional
- Thoroughly combine cucumber and salt. Let stand 15 minutes. Drain well, pressing out excess liquid. Set aside.
- Cut eggs in half lengthwise. Remove yolks and set whites aside. Mash yolks with fork. Stir in sour cream and dill weed until blended. Stir in drained cucumber.
- Refill whites, using one heaping tablespoon yolk mixture for each half. Chill to blend flavors. Garnish platter with vegetable garnishes, as desired.