(ARA) – Blueberries are most abundant and least expensive in the summer, making it an ideal time to get your fill of these little blue gems. Stock the fridge and freezer with blueberries to make meals, snacks and desserts that are easy on the cook. Blueberries never need to be peeled, pitted, stemmed or chopped -just a quick rinse and they’re ready to eat or add to recipes.
Try these ideas for making quick, delicious salads that are enjoyable any time:
- Toss blueberries, chopped pineapple, jalapeno pepper and cilantro with lime juice and serve beside grilled chicken breasts.
- Stir blueberries into your favorite tuna salad and scoop onto baby spinach.
- Whirl vinaigrette salad dressing and blueberries in the blender until smooth and toss with green salads.
Blueberries are not only convenient, they also provide nutrients our bodies need every day. You can find more blueberry recipes and information at www.blueberrycouncil.org.
“Blueberry-Mango Colada Salad” is cool and fresh, boasting bright colors and sweet fruit flavors. With just three ingredients, this delicious salad is a snap to make. Spoon it into stemmed glasses and enjoy as a light fruit dessert. Another option is to serve with meat sizzling from the grill or with simple chicken sandwiches.
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 mangos, peeled, seeded and chopped (about 1-3/4 cups)
- ¼ cup frozen pina colada mix, thawed
- In a large bowl, toss blueberries, mangos and pina colada mix. Into four martini glasses or dessert dishes, spoon fruit mixture, dividing evenly. Garnish with blueberries, mango slices and thin lime slices threaded onto long toothpicks, if desired.