You’re probably wondering what’s up with all the vegan and gluten-free recipes lately. Well, we’re trying to eat a little healthier around here. Sure, we love a fat, juicy burger just as much as the next person, but the fact is as we get older we need to be a little more mindful about what we put in our bodies. So, when Bea over at The Not So Cheesy Kitchen decided to host a “free for all” theme for #SundaySupper (that is, fat-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, whatever free), I was all over it! And I’m bringing this yummy vegan mac and “cheese” bake. By the way, this dish is dairy free, egg free, and gluten-free.
While it has a nice ring to it, the whole eating better because we’re getting older isn’t the entire story. Truth be told, Morgan had open heart surgery a couple of months ago, just a few weeks shy of his 50th birthday. I know, it was a shock. But it made us take a hard look at some of our bad habits. Now that he’s recovered from the surgery, he’s really focusing on what he eats. Currently he’s on a vegan kick, or at least he’s trying. We won’t go into how he ordered in a Philly cheese steak as an after dinner snack the other night. (Why do I find this so amusing?) We’ve been trying all sorts of new things, and this pasta was a huge hit. In fact, he couldn’t believe it’s relatively good for you. Bonus!
So, here’s the thing about vegan mac and cheese–it doesn’t really taste like mac and cheese. But that’s OK because it’s delicious on its own. The sauce is creamy and flavorful, and you’ll never miss the cheese, I swear. If you like your pasta super creamy, skip the baking part. However, if you have a hankering for a nice crunch, the gluten-free Italian bread crumbs add a wonderful flavor when baked on top. This recipe was adapted from the Vegan Yum Yum cookbook.
First, cook and drain the pasta according to the package directions.
Gather all your ingredients for the sauce.
While the pasta’s cooking, get your sauce on. Melt the margarine over medium-low heat, then stir in the flour to make a roux.
Next, stir in the miso, tahini, tomato paste, tamari, lemon juice, onion powder, and garlic powder. The mixture will still be thick.
Slowly whisk in the almond milk and nutritional yeast, along with the salt and pepper. Continue cooking until it thickens (right about when it starts to boil).
Toss with the pasta. The pasta can be served at this point, or you can continue on to the baking part.
Spread the pasta in a greased baking dish, sprinkle the bread crumbs on top, then bake for about 20 minutes. When it’s golden brown like this, you’re good.
- 2½ cups brown rice elbow macaroni
- ⅓ cup Earth Balance margarine
- ¼ cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp red miso
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ⅛ tsp garlic powder
- 1¼ cups unsweetened almond milk
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- salt & white pepper to taste
- ½ cup gluten free Italian bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions, drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, start the sauce.
- Melt the margarine in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in the flour until dissolved, making a roux.
- Stir in the miso, tahini, tamari, tomato paste, lemon juice, onion powder, and garlic powder. The mixture will be thick.
- Whisk in the almond milk, along with the nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. Continue cooking until thickened.
- Stir in the drained pasta. At this point you can serve the pasta as is or continue on to bake.
- Spread the pasta mixture into a greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top, and bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown.
Let’s see what everyone else is cooking up!
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten, Nut & Soy Free Brown Rice Breakfast Pudding by girlichef
- Dairy & Nut and Sugar Free Blueberry Tangerine Muffins by Vintage Kitchen
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten, Nut, and Soy Free Homemade Mango Jam Recipe by Masala Herb
- Gluten Free Nothing Missing Manicotti by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Sun-Dried Tomato & Feta Meatballs over Courgette Noodles by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Gluten Free Pizza by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Dairy, Egg & Nut Free Balsamic Portobello Burgers by Curious Cuisinere
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Nut Free Mushroom Risotto Bake by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Dairy, Egg & Gluten Free Vegan Mac and “Cheese” by Webicurean
- Dairy, Egg & Nut Free Creamy Mushrooms on Pasta by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Gluten Free Enoki Mushroom & Pine Nut Quinoa by Family Foodie
- Gluten Free Persian Cucumber Yogurt by Shockingly Delicious
- Gluten Free Quinoa with Olives, Basil and Sun-dried Tomatoes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake!!!
- Dairy Free Farro and Fruit Salad by Magnolia Days
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Dairy Free Fattoush Salad by From the Bookshelf
- Gluten Free Chickpea Fritters by The Lovely Pantry
- Dairy, Egg, and Gluten Free Black Bean and Mango Salad by Soni’s Food
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten, and Nut Free Grilled Fennel Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Dairy & Gluten Free French Bread by Blueberries and Blessings
- Dairy & Gluten Free Crunchy Almond Sesame Crackers by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Dairy & Gluten Free Individual Chocolate Pavlovas by The Girl in The Little Red Kitchen
- Gluten Free Flourless Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies by Juanita’s Cocina
- Dairy, Egg & Gluten Free Apple Almond Butter Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies with Almond Flour by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Nut Free Lemon Cardamom Wedding Cookies by Gourmet Drizzles
- Dairy Free Chocolate Gelato by Growing Up Gabel
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Sugar Free Cantaloupe, Strawberry, & Coconut Gazpacho by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Gluten Free Meringue Kisses with Dulce de Lece by Basic N Delicious
- Dairy & Egg Free Vegan Everyday Chocolate Loaf by Gotta Get Baked
- Gluten, Dairy, and Nut Free Coconut Macaroons by Happy Baking Days
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Soy Free Tastes like Chocolate Ice Cream by Cookistry
- Gluten Free Mousse & Cookies by Ninja Baking
- Gluten Free Brown Butter Snickerdooles by Pies and Plots
- Dairy, Egg & Soy Free Chai Spice Coconut Ice Cream by Daily Dish Recipes
- Gluten Free Lemonade Dip by The Messy Baker
- Nut & Fat Free Chocolate Angel Food Cake by Table for Seven
- Gluten & Dairy Free Honey Bear Smoothies by Neighborfood
- Sugar Free Strawberry Meyer Lemonade by The Weekend Gourmet
Be sure to join our Twitter #SundaySupper chat party starting at 7:00 pm EST today, June 9th, 2013. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag throughout the day to see the amazing recipes. We look forward to see you to join all you need to do is follow[ the #SundaySupper hashtag and please do not forget to include the hashtag in your tweets as well. Be sure to check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and photos.
Look what we’re sponsoring! Come join us in sunny Orlando, this July!
Learn more at www.foodandwineconference.com
Note: I earn a modest commission for any purchases made via the amazon.com links on this page.