Grandma Papina’s Lamb Stew #SundaySupper

by Anne Papina on June 16, 2013

Grandma Papina's Lamb Stew | Webicurean #SundaySupper

Seems it’s that time of year again when we celebrate dad, so what better way to honor him than with his favorite meal? This week Isabel, owner of FamilyFoodie.com and the founder of the #SundaySupper Movement, is hosting a virtual shindig celebrating Father’s Day. For me, this was a no-brainer, as my dad loved his mother’s lamb stew, so that’s what I’m bringing.

James PapinaThis is my dad during boot camp in Florida. He was an Army staff sergeant and was stationed in the Philippines during World War II. While he survived the war, those images of being in heavy combat haunted him for most of his life. Even though things may not have been perfect, dad made a good life for us … he was always the life of the party, he loved to barbecue, and he loved to document all of our silliness on 8mm. Oh, yah, and he loved this stew.

I must say, everything about this stew is SO right. First, it comes together pretty quickly. And the flavor? It’s divine. The tomatoes, the wine, the herbs, and the juices from the lamb form a decadent gravy, perfect for sopping up with some warm French bread. The recipe works well with either lamb or veal, and no matter which you use, the meat will be perfectly tender. Something I can never seem to manage with beef stew. Once you try this lamb stew, you may never want beef again.

Dig in! And happy Father’s Day! :)

Grandma Papina's Lamb Stew | Webicurean #SundaySupper

Melt the butter along with the oil in a pot, then add the onions, garlic, and herbs. Sauté until the onions are translucent.

Grandma Papina's Lamb Stew | Webicurean #SundaySupper

Dredge the lamb meat in the flour, and add to the pan, browning on all sides. Deglaze the pan with the white wine and broth.

Grandma Papina's Lamb Stew | Webicurean #SundaySupper

Add the potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.

Grandma Papina's Lamb Stew | Webicurean #SundaySupper

Stir in the peas and olives and heat through (about 5-10 minutes). Serve with plenty of French bread.

Our friends over at Palate Press recommend a pairing with something bright and fruity such as the 2011 Masut Estate Vineyard Pinot Noir.

Here’s the printable version.

Grandma Papina's Lamb Stew

This lamb stew is simmered in tomatoes, white wine, and a combination of herbs that help form a perfectly balanced dish.
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: American
Serves: 6
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • ½ medium onion, chopped
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • ½ tsp thyme
  • ½ tsp marjoram
  • ½ tsp oregano
  • 1½ lbs lamb (or veal), cubed
  • flour for dredging
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 3 carrots, peeled & cut into chunks
  • 2 medium russet potatoes, cut into chunks
  • 1 can Italian stewed tomatoes
  • 1 sm can tomato sauce
  • ½ cup vegetable stock
  • ½ cup white wine
  • 1 can of whole black olives, drained
  • 1 10oz package frozen peas
  1. In a large pot, saute onions, garlic and herbs in the butter and olive oil until onions are translucent.
  2. Meanwhile lightly coat the lamb with flour, sprinkling generously with salt and pepper. Add the meat and saute until everything starts to brown.
  3. Add the remaining ingredients except for the olives and peas. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, and simmer covered for about an hour.
  4. Stir in the olives and peas until heated through (about 10 minutes).
  5. Great with a crusty loaf of french bread and lots of butter. Serves 6.

Let’s see what the others have cooked up for us!

Dad’s Favorite Main Dishes:

Dad’s Favorite Appetizers and Sides:

Dad’s Favorite Desserts

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement

Sunday Supper

Sunday Supper is not only a movement, but our contributors have become more like a family.   Happy Father’s Day to all the amazing families in this group!  Without your love for family, the Sunday Supper Movement would not be what it is today.  May you enjoy a day filled with love Around the Family Table!

Come celebrate Father’s day with the Sunday Supper Team! We would love to have you join our Twitter #SundaySupper chat starting at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag throughout the day to see the amazing recipes. We look forward to seeing you.  To join all you need to do is follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and share your favorite tips and recipes. Be sure to check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and photos.

Food and Wine Conference logo

Join us in Orlando this summer for our first annual Food and Wine Conference. Visit www.foodandwineconference.com.

Laura | Small Wallet, Big Appetite June 16, 2013 at 5:21 am

My husband’s favourite meat is lamb so this stew would be a really big hit in this house
Laura | Small Wallet, Big Appetite recently posted..Comment on Daddy’s Favourite Pecan Pie #SundaySupper by The Ninja BakerMy Profile

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers June 16, 2013 at 5:21 am

Your stew looks so delicious! I just love it!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Skillet Meat Lasagna #SundaySupperMy Profile

Lauren @ Healthy Delicious June 16, 2013 at 7:09 am

Yum! This looks so hearty and satisfying!
Lauren @ Healthy Delicious recently posted..Cauliflower, Potato & Cheddar Pierogi for #SundaySupperMy Profile

Courtney @ Neighborfood June 16, 2013 at 8:13 am

I love a good hearty stew, and lamb is just so incredibly flavorful. This is the ultimate comfort food.

Megan @ I Run For Wine June 16, 2013 at 8:26 am

This is a perfect lamb stew! Love the photo of your Dad.
Megan @ I Run For Wine recently posted..Happy Fathers Day! Cast Iron Filet Mignon #SundaySupperMy Profile

Renee June 16, 2013 at 8:52 am

Oh my what an awesome photo of your dad! You should print it and have it framed if you haven’t done so already. And speaking of awesome, what an incredible stew. I can see why your dad and anyone else would love it.
Renee recently posted..Golden Coconut Bars for #SundaySupperMy Profile

Anne Papina June 16, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Funny enough, my brother-in-law had that picture blown up poster sized many years ago, but it’s so big, I don’t know where to hang it!

Kim@Treats & Trinkets June 16, 2013 at 8:55 am

This stew looks amazing. I never was a huge fan of beef. Bring on the lamb!
Kim@Treats & Trinkets recently posted..Tamale Pie Ring- A Father’s Day #SundaySupperMy Profile

Tara June 16, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Who wouldn’t love that stew, it looks amazing!! Great post and pictures, love the one of your dad!!
Tara recently posted..Spicy Caramelized Bacon Wrapped Smoked Oysters for Father’s Day #SundaySupperMy Profile

Bea June 16, 2013 at 7:50 pm

I love the photograph & memories of your Dad. – The stew sounds absolutely amazing. Thank you so much for sharing :)
Bea recently posted..Chicken Wings for Dad #SundaySupper {#Dairyfree}My Profile

Jane's Adventures in Dinner June 17, 2013 at 6:50 am

Oh yum! FIL is a WW2 vet as well. He spent some time in the Phillipines but was also sent around Europe and Africa. Can you imagine?
Jane’s Adventures in Dinner recently posted..Monday Morning Muffins: Rhubarb CrumbleMy Profile

Anne Papina June 18, 2013 at 7:09 am

No, I can’t. My dad has a photo album from his time there, mostly of the ruins in the Philippines… sometimes it’s hard to wrap my brain around the whole thing

Soni June 17, 2013 at 10:46 am

Oh this Lamb stew looks and sounds amazing!I love all the wonderful flavors you’ve added into this stew and would love to try it :)
Soni recently posted..Couscous Tabbouleh for Father’s Day #SundaySupperMy Profile

Family Foodie June 17, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Your lamb stew looks amazing and these are such a great picture of your dad. It is no mystery why he would love this stew.
Family Foodie recently posted..Easy Family Friendly Recipes #WeekdaySupperMy Profile

Sarah Reid, RHNC (@jo_jo_ba) June 17, 2013 at 3:40 pm

My mom would love this! Not sure about dad, since he’s fussy about olives :-)
Sarah Reid, RHNC (@jo_jo_ba) recently posted..Chewy Oat Cookies with a Banana Bread Influence for a Father’s Day #SundaySupperMy Profile

Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons June 18, 2013 at 6:16 am

This looks wonderful! I’ve just recently started liking olives, and apparently, I’m even starting to crave them now, because I really want some of this stew!
Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons recently posted..grill-roasted chicken & vegetables #sundaysupperMy Profile

Katie June 18, 2013 at 6:25 am

Wow – loving that photo of your dad, and I think your dish sounds so comforting and delish!
Katie recently posted..Mixing black, white, and brownMy Profile

Sunithi June 19, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Oh Man !! I just want to bite into this stew !! looks so good ! Cool picture of your dad !
Sunithi recently posted..Lightened Up Fish Biryani With Fresh Dill #SundaySupperMy Profile

Cindys Recipes and Writings June 20, 2013 at 7:06 pm

I love lamb stew this sounds like I’d ask for seconds to me!
Cindys Recipes and Writings recently posted..Fresh Fruit Party FFF Linky Party #49My Profile

Jen @JuanitasCocina June 22, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Do you know I’ve never had lamb? What have I been waiting for???
Jen @JuanitasCocina recently posted..Crunch Burgers with Horseradish Mustard Sauce ~ June #PassTheCookbookClub!My Profile