Where oh where has summer gone? Weekends at the lake (or lounging around the pool), soaking in the rays, cycling about with no particular place to go, grilling anything and everything that comes your way, sipping on a chilled glass of wine surrounded by tiki torches–this is summer. With Labor Day fast approaching, we scramble to seek out that one last hurrah before summer ends. Fortunately, the Sunday Supper Movement and Gallo Family Vineyards have collaborated to bring you an array of tempting wine-infused dishes to end your summer on a sweet, fruity note. For this party, I’m whipping up these savory breakfast sausages with caramelized apples and a splash of Riesling.
For me, this was a no-brainer. One of my favorite parts of vacationing is a good, hearty breakfast. Maybe it’s because I could live on breakfast all day long, but the aromas of breakfast, from the fresh perked coffee (why, yes, I do perk) to the sizzling bacon, I can’t resist. So, when it comes to vacation and breakfast, I’m on it. Besides, if I take care of the breakfast part of our Labor Day fun, that leaves me the rest of the day to relax while everyone else prepares the day’s remaining meals. Perhaps there is a method to my madness!
Whether you’re making breakfast over a campfire or enjoying a Sunday brunch at home, this is one dish everyone will love. Starting with tart apples browned in butter, a little brown sugar goes in, along with the sausages, a hint of cinnamon, a pinch of orange peel, a splash of Gallo’s delicious Riesling, and in short order, you have a stand-out accompaniment to those hot cakes you know you wanted to make.
I’d like to thank Gallo Family Vineyards for providing the Riesling used in this dish. They also sent a bottle of sweet red, for which I have other yummy plans. Gallo is providing a $1 off coupon to help get this party started. Use the Gallo store locator to find some near you, then enjoy these recipes we’ve prepared for you today. Be sure to stop by Gallo Family Vineyards wine blog for additional Labor Day recipes.
And don’t forget…Gallo Family wants you save those corks to help end senior hunger. For the 5th year, our Every Cork Counts program invites Americans to send back their corks to benefit the Meals On Wheels Association of America. Every cork collected garners $1 for Meals on Wheels, and it’s easy to donate!
This doesn’t really need process pix … everything comes together quickly in one pan. Brown the sausages first; then set those aside. Melt the butter in the sausage drippings, then brown the apples in that, add the wine, the sausages, spices, let reduce, then stir in the brown sugar as a finishing touch.
This works so well as a topping for hotcakes, or just as a breakfast side. The flavors of fall … the apples melt in your mouth like buttah, yum!
Here’s the printer-friendly version:
- ½ lb pork breakfast sausages
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 Granny Smith apples, washed & sliced
- ⅓ cup Gallo Riesling
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ grated orange peel (optional)
- Dash, nutmeg
- Brown the sausages on all sides in a large skillet. Set aside.
- In the pan with the sausage drippings, melt the butter over medium heat, then add the apples. Saute until the apples start to brown, about 5 minutes or so. Add the wine and the sausages, and continue to simmer until the liquid is reduced in half. Stir in the brown sugar, cinnamon, orange peel (if using), and nutmeg. Gently stir until the brown sugar completely has dissolved and formed a sauce.
- Best served hot with pancakes.
Let’s see what the others have cooked up!
Labor Day Beverages:
- German Strawberry Wine Punch (Erdbeerbowle) by Magnolia Days
- Ginger Plum Sangria by Jelly Toast
- Lemon Lime Wine Sparkle by Basic N Delicious
- Watermelon Wine Cooler with Lime by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Labor Day Savory Bites:
- Breakfast Sausages with Apples & Riesling by Webicurean
- Buffalo Ranch Pasta Salad by Foxes Love Lemons
- Clams in White Wine Sauce with Goat Cheese Crostini by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Deconstructed Egg Rolls by Ruffles & Truffles
- Peach Mango Grilled Chicken over Quinoa by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Sausage Mushroom and Bacon Pasta by Family Foodie
- Whipped Feta & Grilled Peach Salad with Blueberry Balsamic Vinaigrette by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Labor Day Desserts:
- Brown Butter Grilled Peach Cupcakes with Riesling Frosting by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mango Riesling Coulis by Run DMT
- Orange Creamsicle Cheesecake by Desserts Required
- Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Brownies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Peach Granita Sundaes by Melanie Makes
- Peach Riesling Buckle by girlichef
- Riesling Infused Peach and Blueberry Cobbler by In The Kitchen With KP
- Riesling Poached Peaches with Mascarpone Cream by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- White Wine Ice Cream by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
Read more at http://magnoliadays.com/2014/german-strawberry-wine-punch-erdbeerbowle/#CLHXxL7RhyFGGiHD.99
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more greatSunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
By the way, if you need a hand with pairings, Gallo has a fun and easy to use Food & Wine Pairing tool to help you out.