Italian Sandwiches with Fresh Figs
Recipe type: Sandwich
- 6 ounces feta cheese
- ½ teaspoons black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 focaccia (9 by 13 inch sheet)
- Garlic flavored olive oil
- 6 fresh California figs, sliced lengthwise
- 8 ounces dry salami (12 slices) or thinly sliced prosciutto
- 1 ounce baby spinach leaves
- Parsley springs; for garnish
- Combine feta cheese, pepper and butter in a small bowl: mix and blend with a fork until smooth. Set aside.
- Divide focaccia into 6 equal portions. Slice each piece horizontally. Brush cut sides of each piece with garlic-flavored oil; arrange cut side up on a cookie sheet. Broil until golden brown.
- Spread cut sides of bottom slices with 2 tablespoons of cheese mixture each. Arrange fig slices on top and then layer with salami and baby spinach leaves.
- Garnish tops of sandwiches with parsley springs and decorative toothpicks.
- Garlic flavored Olive Oil Slice 1 clove of garlic into ¼ cup of olive oil and heat until warm.
Serving size: 1 Calories: 480 Fat: 35 g Carbohydrates: 25 g Fiber: 2 g Protein: 16 g Cholesterol: 70 mg