For more recipes visit The Art Institutes Web site at www.artinstitutes.edu/nz.
The Art Institutes (www.artinstitutes.edu) with 31 educational institutions located throughout North America, provide an important source of design, media arts, fashion and culinary arts professionals.
- 2 to 3 pounds beef shoulder or boneless chuck roast
- 6 each carrots -- peeled & diced
- 1 pound red skin potatoes, diced
- 8 ounces whole peeled canned tomatoes with juice, crush with your hands
- 8 ounces freshly brewed black coffee
- 8 ounces water
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Trim exterior fat from beef and season with salt and pepper. Place carrots and potatoes in the bottom of your crock pot.
- Place the beef on top of the vegetables and add remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for eight to 10 hours or until tender. Remove the beef and let it rest for 15 minutes before slicing. If desired, thicken the broth by whisking together 6 ounces of flour with 6 ounces of water to a smooth paste and then slowly whisk it into the hot liquid.