(ARA) – For most of us, winter holiday memories are intertwined with the smells and tastes of favorite family dishes such as the aroma of roasting turkey, the warm spicy taste of pumpkin pie, or the cold tartness of a special cranberry salad. Certainly, family and friends can look forward to holiday gatherings this season that feature the cook’s tried and true recipes. The only trouble is that most of these recipes are time-intensive.
While there are certain recipes on which you won’t want to cut corners, there are many ways to save time this holiday season. Here are some time-saving tips on using convenient products to help you make the most of your cooking time:
- Take advantage of pre-packaged veggies – when a recipe calls for fresh shredded carrots, sliced cucumbers or broccoli, snag them from your produce section – the ingredients are already cleaned and ready to go into your dish.
- Add an easy and colorful complement to holiday favorites – sliced almonds and dried cranberries are a festive addition to many holiday dishes – and can be used right out of the bag.
- Refrigerated salad dressings are another example of easy ways to save time without sacrificing flavor. Refrigerated dressings found in the produce aisle of your local retailer, like Marie’s Dressing, offer homemade quality and fresh taste without the fuss of making your dressing from scratch, creating impressive salads or side-dishes to accompany your holiday meal.
- Plan ahead – If you have ample freezer space, you can make sauces, desserts and appetizers now, freeze them and have half of your buffet ready to go – simply add a festive garnish and serve.
Here’s a great example of taking advantage of quality prepared ingredients – a delicious recipe that is a great addition to any party table:
- 12 ounce jar of Marie's Ranch Dressing
- 2 medium granny smith apples, cored and diced (about 2 cups)
- 1⅓ cups dried cranberries or cherries (about 6 ounces)
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 cups crumbled or diced cheese
- 1½ cups glazed walnuts (about 7 ounces)
- Combine all ingredients. Chill in refrigerator one hour before serving.
- Tip: For a sweet and crunchy green salad, toss above with 6 cups of fresh mixed greens.
For more tasty salad recipes, you can log on to www.maries.com.
Courtesy of ARA Content