Fresh & Fruity Sangria #SundaySupper

by Anne Papina on May 4, 2013

Sangria | Webicurean

Cinco de Mayo is a holiday marking the Mexican army’s victory over France at the Battle of Puebla in 1862. While it’s a relatively minor holiday in Mexico, in the United States it has grown to be a major celebration of Mexican heritage and culture. This week for #SundaySupper we’re observing Cinco de Mayo, and my friend Jen over at Juanita’s Cocina is hosting. I’m bringing a big pitcher filled with a fresh and fruity wine punch–sangria.

While considered a traditional Spanish beverage, sangria has been around for hundreds of years in some form. For example, in the 1700s and 1800s, Claret Cup Punch (basically sangria) was all the rage at European parties. Other variations date back to the middle ages. Sangria is typically made by letting fresh fruit steep in wine for several hours, then a sweetener and a splash of brandy is stirred in before serving. Sometimes carbonation is mixed in, and as you can see, we’ll be adding some soda here today.

What I love about this recipe is that it’s super easy, and if you double it up, you’ll have enough for a crowd. Feel free to experiment with different wines and different fruits–this recipe is merely a guideline.

Sangria | Webicurean

As you can see, just a few simple ingredients are needed for sangria. I love using Beaujolais wine as it’s fruity, but this even works well with two buck chuck. The point is, use whatever wine you prefer.

Sangria | Webicurean

Wash and slice all the fruit, then place in a large pitcher. Cover with wine, and let steep for a couple of hours.

Sangria | Webicurean

Stir in the soda, then serve.

Sangria | Webicurean

You can serve with extra fruit that has been frozen–used as ice, it won’t dilute the drink!

Sangria | Webicurean

Artsy shot.

Fresh & Fruity Sangria
This fresh and fruity sangria is the perfect punch to serve at your next fiesta.
Recipe type: beverage
Cuisine: Mexican
Serves: 6-8
  • 1 orange, sliced
  • 1 Braeburn apple, cut into wedges
  • 1 cup sliced strawberries
  • 1 750ml bottle Beaujolais wine
  • 2 cans Hansen's Tangerine-Lime soda, chilled
  1. Place the fruit in a large pitcher. Pour in wine and stir.
  2. Let this sit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours so the fruit juices blend with the wine.
  3. Stir in the soda, and serve well chilled.

Let’s see what the others have cooked up for Cinco de Mayo!

Cinco de Mayo Appetizers & Sides {Aperitivos}:

Cinco de Mayo Main Dishes {Platos Principales}:

Cinco de Mayo Desserts {Postres}:

Cinco de Mayo Drinks {Bebidas}:

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter today to celebrate Cinco de Mayo! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.

Do you have your ticket to the Food and Wine Conference yet? If not, there will be a $100 discount available on the full conference pass today if you participate in the #SundaySupper twitter chat from 7 to 8pm Eastern Time, and purchase your ticket during the chat. The discount code is: SundaySupper.  *Note the code is only valid during the chat time frame.

Shannon @VillageGirlBlog May 5, 2013 at 3:05 am

Love Sangria! Thanks for sharing 🙂
Shannon @VillageGirlBlog recently posted..Stuffed Pablano Peppers for Cinco de Mayo #SundaySupperMy Profile

Alaiyo Kiasi-Barnes May 5, 2013 at 3:47 am

{Sigh} Your Sangria looks so refreshing! I love this drink because of the fruit. I feel less guilty about having a drink! Kudos!
Alaiyo Kiasi-Barnes recently posted..Corona Beer-Battered Fish Tacos #SundaySupper #Cinco de MayoMy Profile

Jennifer B May 5, 2013 at 5:31 am

I LOVE a good sangria. Seriously, with the drinks that are being featured today, I’m not sure what to make for my pool time!
Jennifer B recently posted..Fruity Aguas Frescas for #SundaySupper’s Cinco de Mayo PartyMy Profile

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers May 5, 2013 at 5:51 am

I love Sangria and your recipe is just beautiful!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Slow Cooked Carne Asada Tacos #SundaySupperMy Profile

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen May 5, 2013 at 6:20 am

Sangria and clerico (made with white wine) were all the rage years ago. There was not a single party that didn´t include either of those, especially in the summer. But the soda is new, and wonderful, twist to the ones I know!
Paula @ Vintage Kitchen recently posted..Red Chile Jam + Tequila Chicken Quesadilla #SundaySupperMy Profile

Jen @JuanitasCocina May 5, 2013 at 7:37 am

I could drink a gallon of this!
Jen @JuanitasCocina recently posted..Roasted Poblano & Corn Lasagna ~ Cinco de Mayo #SundaySupper!My Profile

Nicole May 5, 2013 at 7:47 am

Uhm. Yes please. Like… now. This recipe is calling my name!
Nicole recently posted..Chicken Con Queso Burritos #SundaySupperMy Profile

BusyWorkingMama May 5, 2013 at 7:59 am

I love fresh fruit in sangria. Looks beautiful and delicious!
BusyWorkingMama recently posted..Mini Breakfast EggCups #RecipeMy Profile

Liz May 5, 2013 at 8:41 am

Gorgeous sangria! I’ll just take a bowl of boozed up fruit…YUM!!!!

Katy May 5, 2013 at 9:03 am

I love sangria, and yours looks beautiful!
Katy recently posted..Dark and Spicy Chocolate Pots de Creme for #SundaySupperMy Profile

sunithi May 5, 2013 at 9:15 am

Yummy ! Don’t have wine at home now, or I would have made it 🙂 ! looks lovely too !
sunithi recently posted..Mango Aqua Fresca With Chia Seeds #SundaySupperMy Profile

Renee May 5, 2013 at 11:28 am

What I love about sangria is that it not only tastes good, it is so pretty with the fruit in it. You captured that so well here. And great tip on serving it with frozen fruit.
Renee recently posted..Elote (Mexican Grilled Corn) for #SundaySupperMy Profile

Sarah Reid, RHNC (@jo_jo_ba) May 5, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Brings back memories of Summer potlucks! Except not a mish mash of bottom-shelf booze LOL
Sarah Reid, RHNC (@jo_jo_ba) recently posted..Luxuriously Healthy Chocolate Frosting for #SundaySupper – Cinco de Mayo Style!My Profile

Bea May 5, 2013 at 8:26 pm

I will take a large glass of the sangria please 🙂 it looks fantastic!!!
Bea recently posted..#Dairyfree Flan for #SundaySupper {Cinco de Mayo}My Profile

Katie May 6, 2013 at 5:53 am

Yum! I absolutely love sangria, and creating it at home is always a fun treat…fresh fruit floating in my glass? Yes please!
Katie recently posted..Pretty One Piece Bathing SuitsMy Profile

Lane @ Supper for a Steal May 7, 2013 at 7:23 am

My favorite part of sangria is eating all the yummy fruit out of it. I love how simple this recipe is!
Lane @ Supper for a Steal recently posted..Avgolemono: Greek Chicken Lemon SoupMy Profile

Tara May 7, 2013 at 9:06 am

This looks just perfect!! One of my favorite summer drinks is Sangria!!
Tara recently posted..Herb and Brie Omelette for #BrunchWeekMy Profile

Cindys Recipes and Writings May 8, 2013 at 1:28 am

Great way to kick off sangria season!

Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons May 8, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Yum! Just last summer, I started an “annual” tradition of a big sangria party. I used cheapo boxed wine since it was such a crowd, but I should whip up a batch just for the hubs and I with Beaujolais!

Megan May 9, 2013 at 12:25 pm

YUM! There is nothing better than a pitcher of homemade Sangria. Your recipe is perfect.

Nancy @ gottagetbaked May 9, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Anne, I don’t think I can put into words how much I adore sangria. I love that you used soda in here for that extra fizzy sweet touch. I can’t wait to make this and sip it while sitting on my patio.