It’s hard to believe a year has passed since our last virtual tailgate party, yet here we are. This week the #SundaySupper crew has another winning game day lineup in store, and Lane over at Supper for a Steal is hosting. Last year I whipped up a luscious potato salad with bacon and peas… and this year I bring you my almost famous smoky turkey burgers.
You knew there had to be a story there, right? So here’s the deal, sometimes referred to as “the Better Homes & Gardens story.” Many, many moons ago, I was the office manager/paralegal/girl Friday for a small law firm. This meant I also covered the phones for our receptionist’s break. One morning while covering her break, I was flipping through her BH&G magazine and noticed that month’s recipe contest was for ground meat. Sounds like my kind of challenge! So in that 15 minutes, I concocted this recipe, typed it up, mailed it in, and frankly, didn’t give it another thought.
Fast forward a few months, and I receive a winners’ notification–while I didn’t get first prize, I did receive honorable mention, an award certificate, and a Weber gas grill. Funny how things work out. I had never actually made the burgers, so I promptly invited some friends over to give them a try. Damn they were good! And that’s the story of the burgers that never were.
Add the turkey, cheese, and seasonings to a bowl, and mix thoroughly (go ahead, use your hands).
Divide into 4 patties, and place on a heated grill. So where’s that fancy Weber gas grill you wonder? Well, I lived at the beach for years, and eventually it succumbed to the rust.
But this handy-dandy indoor grill works just fine. Now don’t forget to toast the rolls!
Enjoy with your favorite garnish (I’ve added my suggestions to the recipe card below).
Here’s the printable version:
- 1 lb ground turkey
- ½ cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese (about 2 oz)
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- Dash or two Tabasco
- Non-stick spray coating
- 4 Kaiser rolls, split and toasted
- Dijon mustard
- lettuce leaves
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- In a large mixing bowl combine turkey, cheese, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, and Tabasco. Shape into four Â¾-inch thick patties.
- Spray a cold grill rack with nonstick spray coating. Grill patties directly over medium-hot coals for 15-18 minutes or till no pink remains. (Or broil patties 4-5 inches from heat for 10-12 minutes or till no pink remains)
- Spread mayo and mustard onto rolls. Serve patties in buns with lettuce, tomato, and onion.
Take a look at all the wonderful foodstuff the others are bringing to our Second Annual Virtual Tailgate Party!
Warm Ups (Appetizers):
- Bacon and Onion DipÂ by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Fajita Dip and QuesadillasÂ by Chocolate Moosey
- Crab RangoonsÂ by Hezzi-Dâ€™s Books and Cooks
- Double Cheese Dill SconesÂ by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Fried Yucca With Pink SauceÂ by Basic N Delicious
- Grilled Corn DipÂ by Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Grilled Gameday NachosÂ by Supper for a Steal
- Homemade Potato Chips w/ Blue Cheese SauceÂ by girlichef
- Liptauer Cheese SpreadÂ by Magnolia Days
- Mahogany Baked Chicken WingsÂ by The Dinner-Mom
- Mexican Corn DipÂ by Growing Up Gabel
- Pizza DipÂ by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Posh Pigs In a BlanketÂ by The Weekend Gourmet
- Pretzel NuggetsÂ by I Run For Wine
- Roasted Garlic & Tomatillo Salsa VerdeÂ by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Savory Baked Pinwheelâ€™sÂ by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Sesame Glazed Cauliflower â€œWingsâ€Â by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Stuffed Banana Pepper BitesÂ by Daily Dish Recipes
- Sweet Potato HummusÂ by Alidaâ€™s Kitchen
- Sweet Potato SkinsÂ by A Kitchen Hoorâ€™s Adventures
- VJ Catch-erole by My Other City By The Bay
Game Time (Main Dishes and Sides):
- 1,2,3,4,5 Chinese SpareribsÂ by The Urban Mrs
- Bacon Burger SlidersÂ by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Beef on WeckÂ by Healthy. Delicious.
- Carrot SlawÂ by The Foodie Army Wife
- Cheerwine BBQ Pulled PorkÂ by Nik Snacks
- Chicken, Bacon, Ranch QuesadillasÂ by Cookinâ€™ Mimi
- Chicken, Brie and Apple TurnoversÂ by Shockingly Delicious
- Easy Grilled Chicken Caesar SandwichesÂ by Mommaâ€™s Meals
- French Onion Chicken SandwichesÂ by Foxes Love Lemons
- Frito OlÃ©Â by Home Cooking Memories
- Gomoku Treasure RiceÂ by NinjaBaking.com
- Grilled Fajita KebabsÂ by CuriousCuisiniere
- Hatch Chile Pimento Cheese BurgersÂ by Juanitaâ€™s Cocina
- Italian Tuna and Shells SaladÂ by Cindyâ€™s Recipes and Writings
- Pressed Brick SandwichÂ by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pulled Lamb Barbecue SandwichesÂ by The Texan New Yorker
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken SoupÂ by Neighborfood
- Smoky Turkey BurgersÂ by Webicurean
- Snorker and Spicy Slaw SandwichesÂ byÂ Food Lust People Love
- Tandoori BBQ ChickenÂ by Janeâ€™s Adventures in Dinner
- Tortilla Hot DogsÂ by La Cocina de Leslie
Overtime (Drinks and Desserts):
- Coconut Funfetti Ice Cream CakeÂ by What Smells So Good?
- Funfetti Sugar CookiesÂ by Pies and Plots
- Individual Elvis PiesÂ by Treats & Trinkets
- Portuguese SangriaÂ by Family Foodie
Â Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday.Â We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out ourÂ #SundaySupper Pinterest boardÂ for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement?Â Itâ€™s easy. You can sign up by clicking here â†’Â Sunday Supper Movement.