Fabulous French Cassoulet #SundaySupper

by Anne Papina on October 6, 2013

Cassoulet #SundaySupper | Webicurean

As we drift into the cooler months, our thoughts turn to soups, stews … hearty one-pot meals that simmer all day and fill the house with the aroma of something decidedly good. This week’s #SundaySupper is dedicated to those recipes, and Amy over at Kimchi Mom is hosting. I had a hankering for this fabulous French cassoulet, so that’s what we’re making today.

Cassoulet is a traditional French peasant dish of beans, meat, and herbs that originated in France’s Languedoc region some time in the 14th century. In his Histoire comique (free Kindle edition), Anatole French claimed that his favorite cassoulet had been cooking for 20 years, putting it in the pot-au-feu category, a dish simmering on the stove top through decades with daily subtractions and replenishments. (The Oxford Companion to Food, 1999.)  Fortunately we only need about 3 hours here.

The word cassoulet is derived from the glazed earthenware vessel (cassole) in which it cooks. While the haricot blancs (white beans) remain a constant, the meats can range from pork and mutton to duck confit and partridge. The version we’re cooking today is made with chicken and Polish sausage. Oh, and a little bacon is thrown in for good measure. This recipe is adapted from my old favorite, McCall’s Cooking School.

I have to say, this is a pretty sturdy and forgiving dish as well. In the middle of cooking, I had to run to the vet to pick up kitty. This should have taken 30 minutes, tops, so I dashed off after first popping this in the oven. Two hours later, which included a full 40 minutes of looking for parking, I returned. I was so worked up over the parking, it wasn’t until I was on my way back that I remembered my cassoulet! Sacrebleu! All the broth had evaporated, but since I hadn’t added the chicken yet, I poured in some more broth, and we were back in business. Phew!

Cassoulet #SundaySupper | Webicurean

First, you’ll need to soak the beans for 2 hours, then drain. Then add them to large, oven-proof pot, along with the water, one of the carrots, all the onions, the celery leaves, the herbs, garlic, peppercorns and the Better than Bouillon.  Bring this to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for an hour.

Cassoulet #SundaySupper | Webicurean

In a large skillet, saute the bacon until it starts to crisp. Save the bacon grease, and put the bacon along with the remaining carrots into the bean pot, then transfer to a 350F oven for 30 minutes.   Meanwhile, start browning the chicken in the bacon grease, and continue until browned on all sides. This will take about 30 minutes.

Cassoulet #SundaySupper | Webicurean

Crush the tomatoes with your hands, and stir into the pot along with their juice. Add the chicken pieces, then place the sausage on top. Cover this and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the lid, then bake an additional 10 minutes or until the chicken is tender.

Cassoulet #SundaySupper | Webicurean

Cassoulet is one of the most satisfying meals. Ever. Enjoy this with a tossed salad, some French bread, and a glass of wine!

Cassoulet

Cassoulet is a rich one-pot meal, made of beans, chicken, vegetables, and sausage slowly simmered with broth and herbs.
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: French
Serves: 8
  • 1 lb Great Northern white beans
  • 4 cups water
  • 5 carrots
  • 6 medium onions
  • 4 whole cloves
  • 3 tbsp Better than Bouillon (Chicken)*
  • 2 bay leaves
  • ½ cup coarsely chopped celery leaves
  • 5 whole black peppercorns
  • 4 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 2 tsp dried thyme leaves
  • 1½ tsp dried marjoram leaves
  • 1½ tsp dried sage leaves
  • 3-4 slices thick bacon
  • 4 lb roasting chicken, cut into 8 pieces
  • 1 (1 lb) can peeled tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 lb Polska Kielbasa
  • 2 tbsp chopped parsley
  1. In a large bowl, cover beans with water and let soak for 2 hours. Drain, then transfer to a large oven-safe pot or dutch oven, and add 4 cups of water.
  2. Pare and cut the carrots into large chunks. Add one carrot to the pot at this time.
  3. Peel the onions, studding 1 of the onions with the cloves. Add the onions to the pot along with the Better than Bouillon, bay leaves, celery leaves, peppercorns, garlic, and dried herbs. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered for 1 hour.
  4. Preheat oven to 350F.
  5. Cut the bacon into pieces, and saute the bacon in a large skillet until it just starts to crisp up. Remove from pan and set aside, reserving the bacon grease. Add the bacon and remaining carrots to the bean pot, and transfer to the oven, baking uncovered for 30 minutes.
  6. While the pot is baking, brown the chicken pieces in the bacon grease, browning well on all sides.
  7. Remove the pot from the oven, and add the undrained tomatoes, crushing them with your hands as you add them. Add the browned chicken to the pot. Score the sausage, and place that on top of everything. Cover tightly, and bake 45 minutes. Remove the cover and bake an additional 10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
Notes
*Feel free to substitute chicken stock for the water and bouillon.

Let’s see what the others have cooked up for us!

“Take the chill off” Chilis, Soups, and Starters

“Put meat on your bones” Stews

“Make room for seconds” Main Dishes

“Can’t say no” Desserts

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here ? Sunday Supper Movement.

Note: I earn a modest commission for any purchases made via the amazon.com links on this page.

Lane @ Spper for a Steal October 6, 2013 at 4:43 am

This sounds so comforting and delicious! Great recipe Anne.
Lane @ Spper for a Steal recently posted..Spicy Tomato Pasta for #SundaySupperMy Profile

Liz October 6, 2013 at 5:05 am

Such an elegant on-pot entree! Perfect for a Sunday Supper!
Liz recently posted..Slow Cooked Beef Stew with Red Wine, Carrots and Tomatoes #SundaySupperMy Profile

Constance @FoodieArmyWife October 6, 2013 at 7:38 am

What a fantastically hearty dish!
Constance @FoodieArmyWife recently posted..Brew Stewed Beef | #SundaySupper #OnePotMealsMy Profile

Nichole C October 6, 2013 at 8:00 am

This looks beautiful AND delicious! I can’t wait to make it.
Nichole C recently posted..Carnitas with Queso Fresco Enchiladas for #SundaySupperMy Profile

The Wimpy Vegetarian October 6, 2013 at 8:06 am

Oh I absolutely LOVE cassoulet. We made this when I was in school before I went mostly vegetarian, and I just loved it. Now I’m trying to create a vegetarian version, but nothing really matches up to the wonderfulness of this dish :-)
The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..SundaySupper: Moroccan Ragout with Poached EggsMy Profile

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers October 6, 2013 at 8:07 am

Oh my gosh! What a dish! It’s just gorgeous!!! My Husband would devour it!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Mascarpone Pumpkin Cheesecake in the Microwave #SundaySupperMy Profile

Family Foodie October 6, 2013 at 8:44 am

This dish is just beautiful! My daughter would love this. I will have to try this next time she comes home from college.
Family Foodie recently posted..Sunday Supper One Pot Pork and Chorizo #SundaySupperMy Profile

Stacy October 6, 2013 at 8:46 am

Cassoulet is one of our favorite dishes, Anne. I have even gone so far as to confit duck to make it, but you definitely get out of the one-pot area there! Your pretty version looks much more do-able in an afternoon!
Stacy recently posted..Pan-fried Chicken with Bacon and Asparagus for #SundaySupperMy Profile

Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious October 6, 2013 at 10:08 am

I have been waiting for this recipe!

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl October 6, 2013 at 10:22 am

What a beautiful supper recipe here, this would be a major hit in my house!
Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl recently posted..Get Your Herbs OnMy Profile

Laura October 6, 2013 at 10:25 am

This looks like a perfect recipe to make for a week of leftovers. As the months get colder and life gets busier I love recipes I can make a big batch of to heat up throughout the week.
Laura recently posted..Comment on One-Pot Lentil Chicken #SundaySupper by LizMy Profile

Tara October 6, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I have made a cassoulet a few times and it is delish, yours looks so good!!
Tara recently posted..Cream of Tomato and Tortellini Soup for One Pot Recipes #SundaySupperMy Profile

Courtney @ Neighborfood October 7, 2013 at 4:13 am

Now THAT is some comfort food. I bet you needed it after that parking adventure. Ugh! I hate driving around for parking!
Courtney @ Neighborfood recently posted..Spinach and Mushroom Tortellini Soup #SundaySupperMy Profile

Amy Kim (@kimchi_mom) October 7, 2013 at 7:09 am

I LOVE CASSOULET. I love the process of making it and it always satisfies! The dried beans are a must! This looks awesome….I think I’ll have to make this again soon! Thanks for sharing!
Amy Kim (@kimchi_mom) recently posted..Korean Oxtail Soup (Kkori Gomtang) #SundaySupperMy Profile

Julie @ Texan New Yorker October 7, 2013 at 11:50 am

This looks so hearty and amazing! Cassoulet is on my list of things I’ve never made but simply must make sometime. Thanks!
Julie @ Texan New Yorker recently posted..Guest Post – Lemon Buttermilk DoughnutsMy Profile

Bea October 7, 2013 at 9:10 pm

This sounds – and looks – so deliciously perfect! Yum!
Bea recently posted..Pepper Beef Stew for #SundaySupperMy Profile

Alice // Hip Foodie Mom October 8, 2013 at 6:29 am

I have always wanted to try to make a Cassoulet!!!! This looks FABULOUS!!!! LOVE!
Alice // Hip Foodie Mom recently posted..Red Quinoa Butternut Squash and Kale Salad . . . and a giveaway with Organic Girl!My Profile

Angie smith October 9, 2013 at 10:05 am

This is a lovely recipe, I like adding the sausage on top, thats a really good idea.

Sarah Reid, RHNC (@jo_jo_ba) October 9, 2013 at 11:24 am

I can’t believe I’ve never had this before, it’s filled with everything I love!
Sarah Reid, RHNC (@jo_jo_ba) recently posted..Gluten Free Cranberry – Citrus Muffins (#12WksXmasTreats)My Profile

Cindys Recipes and Writings October 11, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Beautifully done, Anne! This sounds so good and hearty with a thick broth, yum!
Cindys Recipes and Writings recently posted..Pumpkin Cream Cheese Pizza #DessertChallengeMy Profile

Faye Leong October 16, 2013 at 6:05 am

Looks so delicious! Thanks for sharing with us, Annie!
Faye Leong recently posted..Claypot Braised Tofu #SundaySupperMy Profile