Fire-up the grill–it’s time for a #SundaySupper BBQ Party! This week’s shindig is being hosted by Melanie over at Melanie Makes and Jennie from The Messy Baker. Since I don’t have my grill yet ready for the season, I’m bringing Mom’s Classic Macaroni Salad.
It doesn’t seem that long ago I was stuffing zucchini in the kitchen with Mom, yet it almost feels like a lifetime. One of the reasons for the radio silence here at the blog is because my mom passed away on May 28, at the age of 90, and as you can imagine, I needed to take a break. Jumping back in with #SundaySupper, which she loved, and making one of her favorite recipes seemed like a fitting way to honor her.
Traditionally, after preparing the salad, she’d spread a thick frosting of mayonnaise over the top. As you can see, I skipped that step. The end result here is a simple mac salad, with a light coating of mayo, the slight tang of vinegar, and dotted with chopped black olives and diced pimentos.
- 1 lb salad macaroni
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 4 oz jar diced pimentos, drained
- 1 15 oz can large black olives, drained
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Paprika, optional
- In a large pot, bring 4 quarts of well salted water (add about 2 teaspoons) to a boil. Add the macaroni, and return to a boil, cooking for about 9-10 minutes or until the macaroni is cooked firm to the bite. Rinse with cold water and drain thoroughly.
- Toss the macaroni with the olive oil and vinegar in a large bowl. Add the pimentos. Reserve about 5 olives, then chop the remaining olives, adding them to the macaroni mixture. Add the mayo, salt and pepper, then stir until the macaroni is thoroughly coated with the mayonnaise, and all the ingredients are mixed in.
- Chill, then sprinkle with paprika (if desired) and remaining olives before serving.
Let’s see what the others are bringing to the party!
- Best Wines For A Summer BBQ Party from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
- Grilled Peach and Cinnamon Whiskey Sour from Peaceful Cooking
- How To Make Fresh Squeezed Lemonade from Life Tastes Good
- Pineapple Margaritas from The Messy Baker
- Stone Fruit Sangria from Because I Like Chocolate
- Strawberry Lemonade from Basic N Delicious
- BBQ Stuffed Calimari from Jane’s Adventure in Dinner
Sides and Accompaniments
- Cucumber Salad with Blackberry Browned Butter Vinaigrette from Nik Snacks
- Easy Fruity Salad from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Grilled Corn on the Cob with Lime Butter from The Redhead Baker
- Jacques’ Cucumber Salad with Onions from Food Lust People Love
- Mango Peanut Slaw from The Texan New Yorker
- Mom’s Classic Macaroni Salad from Webicurean
- Roasted Strawberry BBQ Sauce from Bobby’s Kozy Kitchen
- Two Tomato Chutney from What Smells So Good?
- Asian-Style Pasta with Gochujang Peanut Sauce from Wallflour Girl
- Barbecue Ribs from girlichef
- BBQ Stuffed Peppers from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Bistecca from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Competition Baby Back Ribs with Apple-Bourbon Barbecue Sauce from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Grilled Cedar Plank Salmon from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Clams with Chorizo from Noshing With The Nolands
- Grilled Sanma from A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Grilled Shrimp with Lemon Basil from Nosh My Way
- Grilled Swordfish and Eggplant with Fusilli and Tomatoes from Cooking Chat
- Grilled Wings from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lemon Oregano Spatchcock Chicken from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Mango Beef Kebabs from Curious Cuisiniere
- Steak Skewers with Chimichurri from Jelly Toast
- Sweet and Tangy Blueberry BBQ Chicken Pizza from Simply Gourmet
- Amazing S’mores 7-Layer Bars from Flavor Mosaic
- Banana Pudding Pie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Blackberry Cake from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Blueberry and Raspberry Galette from Rhubarb and Honey
- Farm Stand Blackberry Buckle from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Grilled Peach Crumble from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Grilled Peaches with Mascarpone Cream and Sweet Balsamic Syrup from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Hot Fudge Ice Cream Pie from Melanie Makes
- Lemon Ricotta Bars from The Foodie Army Wife
- Old Fashioned Sour Cherry Pie from Pies and Plots
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- S’mores Chocolate Cookie Cups from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.