(ARA) – This holiday season, while your kids may have visions of sugar plums dancing in their heads, you most likely have other things whirling around in your mind. Things like getting all the gifts purchased, wrapped and mailed. Or planning the big family gathering. Or baking 12 dozen cookies for your neighborhood cookie exchange.
Every recipe box needs a couple of no-fail, easy-to-make, fun to eat snacks that are good for a crowd, especially during this busy time of year. Homemade Chex mix fills the bill – it’s quick to put together so you get to enjoy the party, and people just can’t stop eating it.
Original Chex Party Mix has been a part of celebrations for years. For a change of taste, try this sugar and spice variation, it is sure to be a welcome addition to any party.
- 2 cups Corn Chex cereal
- 2 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 2 cups Apple Cinnamon Cheerios cereal
- 3 cups dry-roasted peanuts
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons orange juice or water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 300 F. Spray with cooking spray or grease 15x10x1-inch pan.
- In very large bowl, mix cereals, corn snacks and peanuts. In small bowl, beat egg whites, orange juice, sugar and cinnamon, using wire whisk or hand beater, until foamy. Pour over cereal mixture, stirring until evenly coated. Spread in pan.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes, until light brown and crisp. Cook completely, about 1 hour. Store in airtight container.