Sometimes nothing is more satisfying than a steaming bowl of chili. There’s something irresistible about that combination of meat, beans, and spices, simmering all day in a tangy gravy that beckons the taste buds. Whether you eat it straight, scoop it up with chips, or smother it over a hotdog or fries, it’s one dish you can serve that just about everyone enjoys. Since this week #SundaySupper is getting its skinny on, I thought it was time to break out my Skinny Beef Chili recipe.
Now, anyone who’s been to a barbecue at my place knows to seek out the crockpot simmering with my adaptation of the Hard Rock Cafe’s chili. Loaded with ground beef, chunks of steak, diced jalapeno, and a myriad of seasonings, it’s been a sure hit every time. But, it’s also a lot of work and loaded with calories–not practical for everyday fare.
For today’s recipe, we’re doing a complete 180. This heart healthy chili is low in fat and low in sodium, but there’s no short-changing on the flavor. As a bonus, the whole thing comes together in about 35 minutes, making it a no-brainer for a weeknight meal. Just serve it over a bed a greens, top it with a little shredded low-fat cheese, and you’re good to go. The leftovers are great packed up for lunch the next day, and it also freezes well for future quick meals.
Let’s get cooking.
Heat the broth in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, bell pepper and garlic. Sauté this until the veggies soften. Sauteing in broth instead of fat helps cut some calories without sacrificing flavor. Add in the ground beef, breaking it up as it browns.
Once the ground beef is cooked, stir in the seasonings.
Next, stir in the beans and tomatoes, bring to a boil, then cover and simmer about 20 minutes. Note, this dish is intended to be low sodium, however, if you’re not accustomed to low sodium foods, you may want to add just a bit of salt until your taste buds adjust.
Serve it piping hot with a little low-fat cheese as a garnish.
I love mine served over a bed of greens!
Now, let’s see what other skinny dishes the #SundaySupper folks have cooked up below!
- ¼ cup beef broth or chicken broth (no salt added)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb extra lean (96%) ground beef
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 14 oz can pinto beans (no salt added), rinsed and drained
- 14 oz can black beans (no salt added), rinsed and drained (optional)
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes (no salt added)
- Shredded low-fat cheese for garnish
- Heat the broth in a large skillet, then add the onion, bell pepper and garlic. Saute until the veggies soften, then add the ground beef, breaking apart until cooked through.
- Stir in the seasonings and the beans, then add the tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer about 20 minutes.
Sizzling Skinny Appetizers & Soups
- Napa Cabbage wrapped Chinese Spring Rolls by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- #DairyFree Cream of Broccoli Soup by Galactosemia in PDX
- Easy Vegan Lentil Soup by NeighborFood
- Spicy Asian Chicken Noodle Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Tomato Basil Soup by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Skinny Beef Chili by Webicurean
Healthy Skinny Mains & Sides
- Chicken with Herb Tomatoes and Pan Sauce by Hezzi D’s Books & Cooks
- Kale Salad with Pomegranates, Apples and Walnuts by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Skinny Salad Wraps by MamaMommyMom
- Mashed Cauliflower by Supper for a Steal
- Lamb Florentine Burger with Tzatziki by Country Girl in the Village
- Skinny Avocado Egg Salad Wraps by The Daily Dish Recipes
- Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad by Family Foodie
- Parchment-Poached Salmon by Simply Gourmet
- Maddy’s Arugula Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cauliflower Pizza by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Light chicken enchiladas by My Cute Bride
- Pear Almond Arugula Salad with Honey Vinaigrette by Vintage Kitchen
- Pasta Primavera by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Cauliflower Fried Rice by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Ahi Tuna Salad by The Urban Mrs
- Soba Noodles with Edamame and Green Onions by Hip Foodie Mom
- Scallops Hong Kong Style by Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Pork and Green Chile Stew by Momma’s Meals
- Roasted Garlic, Chicken & Herb White Pizza by Dinners Dishes and Desserts
- Polynesian Salad with Pineapple Vinaigrette by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Herb Roasted Salmon with Steamed Cabbage & Peas by The Lovely Pantry
- Turkey and Black Bean Taco Burgers by In The Kitchen With K P
- Salmon Tikka Wraps with Cucumber Raita by Soni’s Food
- Whole wheat pasta with Spicy Roasted Cauliflower by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Slow Cooker Baby Back Ribs by I Run For Wine
- Chipotle Black Bean Burgers with Baked Garlic Home Fries by Curious Cuisiniere
- The Ninja Baker’s Sake & Miso Salmon by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Sweet Potato, Quinoa and Black Bean Burgers with Parsnip Fries by Gourmet Drizzles
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Smoked Sausage Cassoulet by The Weekend Gourmet
- Cumin Roasted Cauliflower and Carrots by Mangoes and Chutney
- Italian Sub Salad by Diabetic Foodie
- Swiss Chard and Quinoa Croquettes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Broccoli Patties with Arugula and Champagne Vinaigrette by Sustainable Dad
- Raw Kale Salad with Chickpeas and Salmon in Orange Dressing by Shockingly Delicious
- Greek Yogurt Egg Salad Sandwich by Damn Delicious
- Confetti Cabbage and Salmon Wraps by The Roxx Box
- Escarole and Beans by Midlife Roadtrip
- Cajun Black Beans by Ruffles and Truffles
- Caprese salad by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Skinny Wholegrain Fettuccine Alfredo with Greek Yogurt & Coconut Oil by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Guilt Free Skinny Desserts & Snacks
- Chocolate Avocado Cake by Gotta Get Baked
- Tiramisu Parfaits by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Sugar Free Banana Almond Muffins by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Coconut Cinnamon Buns by Juanita’s Cocina
- Warm Apple Crumble by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Dark Chocolate-Dipped Apricots by girlichef
- Homemade Protein Bar Recipe by Masala Herb
- Skinny Chocolate Almond Pudding by Basic N Delicious
Wine Pairing Recommendations for Skinny Sunday Supper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. This week we will be sharing out special skinnified recipes! Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the#SundaySupper hash tag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Join us Around the Family Table this Sunday at 7pm Eastern Time and share your favorite healthy recipes with us!