Sometimes nothing is more satisfying than a steaming bowl of chili. There’s something irresistible about that combination of meat, beans, and spices, simmering all day in a tangy gravy that beckons the taste buds. Whether you eat it straight, scoop it up with chips, or smother it over a hotdog or fries, it’s one dish you can serve that just about everyone enjoys. Since this week #SundaySupper is getting its skinny on, I thought it was time to break out my Skinny Beef Chili recipe.
Now, anyone who’s been to a barbecue at my place knows to seek out the crockpot simmering with my adaptation of the Hard Rock Cafe’s chili. Loaded with ground beef, chunks of steak, diced jalapeno, and a myriad of seasonings, it’s been a sure hit every time. But, it’s also a lot of work and loaded with calories–not practical for everyday fare.
For today’s recipe, we’re doing a complete 180. This heart healthy chili is low in fat and low in sodium, but there’s no short-changing on the flavor. As a bonus, the whole thing comes together in about 35 minutes, making it a no-brainer for a weeknight meal. Just serve it over a bed a greens, top it with a little shredded low-fat cheese, and you’re good to go. The leftovers are great packed up for lunch the next day, and it also freezes well for future quick meals.
Let’s get cooking.
Heat the broth in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, bell pepper and garlic. SautÃ© this until the veggies soften.Â Sauteing in broth instead of fat helps cut some calories without sacrificing flavor.Â Add in the ground beef, breaking it up as it browns.
Once the ground beef is cooked, stir in the seasonings.
Next, stir in the beans and tomatoes, bring to a boil, then cover and simmer about 20 minutes. Note, this dish is intended to be low sodium, however, if you’re not accustomed to low sodium foods, you may want to add just a bit of salt until your taste buds adjust.
Serve it piping hot with a little low-fat cheese as a garnish.
I love mine served over a bed of greens!
Now, let’s see what other skinny dishes the #SundaySupper folks have cooked up below!
- ¼ cup beef broth or chicken broth (no salt added)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb extra lean (96%) ground beef
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 14 oz can pinto beans (no salt added), rinsed and drained
- 14 oz can black beans (no salt added), rinsed and drained (optional)
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes (no salt added)
- Shredded low-fat cheese for garnish
- Heat the broth in a large skillet, then add the onion, bell pepper and garlic. Saute until the veggies soften, then add the ground beef, breaking apart until cooked through.
- Stir in the seasonings and the beans, then add the tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer about 20 minutes.
Sizzling Skinny Appetizers & Soups
- Napa Cabbage wrapped Chinese Spring Rolls byÂ Small Wallet Big Appetite
- #DairyFree Cream of Broccoli Soup byÂ Galactosemia in PDX
- Easy Vegan Lentil Soup byÂ NeighborFood
- Spicy Asian Chicken Noodle SoupÂ byÂ Food Lust People Love
- Tomato Basil Soup byÂ No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Skinny Beef Chili byÂ Webicurean
Â Healthy Skinny Mains & Sides
- Chicken with Herb Tomatoes and Pan Sauce byÂ Hezzi Dâ€™s Books & Cooks
- Kale Salad with Pomegranates, Apples and Walnuts byÂ The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Skinny Salad Wraps byÂ MamaMommyMom
- Mashed Cauliflower byÂ Supper for a Steal
- Lamb Florentine Burger with TzatzikiÂ byÂ Country Girl in the Village
- Skinny Avocado Egg Salad Wraps byÂ The Daily Dish Recipes
- Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad byÂ Family Foodie
- Parchment-Poached Salmon byÂ Simply Gourmet
- Maddyâ€™s Arugula Salad byÂ That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cauliflower Pizza byÂ Cravings of a Lunatic
- Light chicken enchiladas byÂ My Cute Bride
- Pear Almond Arugula Salad with Honey Vinaigrette byÂ Vintage Kitchen
- Pasta Primavera byÂ Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Cauliflower Fried Rice byÂ Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Ahi Tuna Salad byÂ The Urban Mrs
- Soba Noodles with Edamame and Green Onions byÂ Hip Foodie Mom
- Scallops Hong Kong Style byÂ Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Pork and Green Chile Stew byÂ Mommaâ€™s Meals
- Roasted Garlic, Chicken & Herb White Pizza byÂ Dinners Dishes and Desserts
- Polynesian Salad with Pineapple Vinaigrette byÂ Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Herb Roasted Salmon with Steamed Cabbage & Peas byÂ The Lovely Pantry
- Turkey and Black Bean Taco Burgers byÂ In The Kitchen With K P
- Salmon Tikka Wraps with Cucumber Raita byÂ Soniâ€™s Food
- Whole wheat pasta with Spicy Roasted Cauliflower byÂ Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Slow Cooker Baby Back Ribs byÂ I Run For Wine
- Chipotle Black Bean Burgers with Baked Garlic Home Fries byÂ Curious Cuisiniere
- The Ninja Bakerâ€™s Sake & Miso Salmon byÂ Ninja Baking
- Roasted Sweet Potato, Quinoa and Black Bean Burgers with Parsnip Fries byÂ Gourmet Drizzles
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Smoked Sausage Cassoulet byÂ The Weekend Gourmet
- Cumin Roasted Cauliflower and Carrots byÂ Mangoes and Chutney
- Italian Sub Salad byÂ Diabetic Foodie
- Swiss Chard and Quinoa Croquettes byÂ The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Broccoli Patties with Arugula and Champagne Vinaigrette byÂ Sustainable Dad
- Raw Kale Salad with Chickpeas and Salmon in Orange Dressing byÂ Shockingly Delicious
- Greek Yogurt Egg Salad Sandwich byÂ Damn Delicious
- Confetti Cabbage and Salmon Wraps byÂ The Roxx Box
- Escarole and Beans byÂ Midlife Roadtrip
- Cajun Black Beans byÂ Ruffles and Truffles
- Caprese salad byÂ The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Skinny Wholegrain Fettuccine Alfredo with Greek Yogurt & Coconut OilÂ byÂ Sueâ€™s Nutrition Buzz
Guilt Free Skinny Desserts & Snacks
- Chocolate Avocado Cake byÂ Gotta Get Baked
- Tiramisu Parfaits byÂ Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Sugar Free Banana Almond Muffins byÂ What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Coconut Cinnamon Buns byÂ Juanitaâ€™s Cocina
- Warm Apple Crumble byÂ Mamaâ€™s Blissful Bites
- Dark Chocolate-Dipped Apricots byÂ girlichef
- Homemade Protein Bar Recipe byÂ Masala Herb
- Skinny Chocolate Almond Pudding byÂ Basic N Delicious
Wine Pairing Recommendations for Skinny Sunday SupperÂ byÂ ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join theÂ #SundaySupperÂ conversation on twitter each Sunday.Â We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. This week we will be sharing out special skinnified recipes! Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the#SundaySupperÂ hash tag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out ourÂ #SundaySupper Pinterest boardÂ for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Join us Around the Family Table this Sunday at 7pm Eastern Time and share your favorite healthy recipes with us!