Garlicky Italian Green Beans and Potatoes #SundaySupper

by Anne Papina on March 16, 2014

Garlicky Italian Green Beans and Potoates #SundaySupper | Webicurean

I grew up in one of those meat-and-potatoes households and as a child found myself fascinated with the old Hidden Valley Ranch commercials. Could snacking on veggies be that fun?! As you might imagine, greens were hardly in my vocabulary back then, so when my buddy DB over at Crazy Foodie Stunts said he was hosting an Eat Your Greens #SundaySupper, exactly two  dishes came to mind–broccoli cheese casserole and Italian green beans with potatoes. That’s normal, right? Old habits die hard.

I’m sometimes haunted by that broccoli cheese casserole, too. How did I do it? Broccoli swimming in gobs of Velveeta cheese, then topped with Ritz crackers that had been sautéed in butter. Fortunately, it’s lost its appeal since then. But these green beans, however, are a treat that survived the years, perhaps my second favorite childhood “green” dish behind the stick-to-your-gut-artery-clogging broccoli.

Italian green beans, or Romano beans, are a flat snap bean and are mostly available during the summer months. Finding fresh ones can be a challenge, but it’s one green bean that most grocery stores stock in the freezer section. This particular recipe is an old Italian dish that my grandmother as well as my mother used to make. It may not be the prettiest dish on the table, but it’s certainly got great flavor between the garlic and the vinegar. It’s really like a warm potato salad and is best, in fact, when served warm or at room temperature.

Dig in!

Garlicky Italian Green Beans and Potoates #SundaySupper | Webicurean

Get a large pot of salted water going on the stove. While waiting for that to boil, wash, peel, and cut the potatoes into bite-sized chunks.

Garlicky Italian Green Beans and Potoates #SundaySupper | Webicurean

Once the water is boiling, add the potatoes and green beans, cooking for 12-15 minutes, or until the desired level of doneness is reached.

Garlicky Italian Green Beans and Potoates #SundaySupper | Webicurean

I tend to cook them on the longer side, as I like the potatoes to mash up a bit in the dish. I think they carry the vinegar better this way.

Garlicky Italian Green Beans and Potoates #SundaySupper | Webicurean

These worked really well with that baked corned beef hovering in the background.

Here’s the printer-friendly version:

Garlicky Italian Green Beans and Potatoes

Italian Green Beans are boiled with potatoes then tossed with a garlic vinaigrette, making a delicious warm potato salad.
Recipe type: Side
Cuisine: Italian
Serves: 4-6
  • 1 lb frozen Italian green beans
  • 3 smallish Russet potatoes (about 1½ lbs)
  • 1½ tbsp red wine vinegar
  • ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
  • ¾ tsp kosher salt
  • several twists of a pepper mill
  1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
  2. Wash and peel the potatoes, then cut into bite-sized pieces. Once the water is boiling, add the potatoes and the green beans.
  3. Leave pot on high, and continue to cook an additional 12-15 minutes, depending on desired level of doneness.
  4. Drain the potatoes/beans, then transfer to a bowl. Toss with the vinegar first, then toss in the remaining ingredients.
  5. Serve hot or warm.

Let’s see what the others have cooked up for you!

Green Light Appetizers and Sides

Getting Greens Through Salads

Entreés That Will Leave You Green With Envy

Desserts and Beverages That Will Make Others Turn Green

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET.  Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

Manu March 16, 2014 at 1:58 am

I would love to have some of these beans and potatoes with my dinner! Delicious looking recipe! :-)
Manu recently posted..Green Tea Latte #SundaySupperMy Profile

Liz March 16, 2014 at 3:55 am

Now this is my kind of potato salad! And perfect accompaniment for corned beef!!!
Liz recently posted..Grasshopper Mousse #SundaySupperMy Profile

Lea Ann (Cooking On The Ranch) March 16, 2014 at 5:11 am

ok, thanks to you I’m now craving that old broccoli and velvetta casserole. You have to admit it was really delicious. I don’t think I’ve ever had Italian green beans. I’m hoping I can find them in my freezer section. Your salad looks wonderful! Nice cooking with you for Sunday Supper.
Lea Ann (Cooking On The Ranch) recently posted..Moroccan Greens #SundaySupperMy Profile

Anne Papina March 17, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Yes, that velveeta broccoli cheese casserole was delicious! I’m afraid if I try it again, I’ll go on a broccoli cheese bender!

Renee - Kudos Kitchen March 16, 2014 at 5:28 am

The perfect side dish! Simply delicious!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 16, 2014 at 5:57 am

I never think of adding vegetables to my potatoes. I have to try this. I love the green bean addition!! Awesome recipe!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Broccoli and Cheese Soup #SundaySupperMy Profile

Jennifer B March 16, 2014 at 6:18 am

I love those simple, time honored recipes that are good any time. What a perfect dish!
Jennifer B recently posted..National Artichoke Hearts Day | Creamy Green Pizza for #SundaySupperMy Profile

Cindys Recipes and Writings March 16, 2014 at 6:39 am

A great simple salad. Love it!
Cindys Recipes and Writings recently posted..Creamy Chicken Pesto Salad #SundaySupperMy Profile

Sarah March 16, 2014 at 6:46 am

Right up my alley, you give me garlic and potatoes? I’m in!
Sarah recently posted..Vegan “Egg Yolk” SubstituteMy Profile

Betsy Cohen March 16, 2014 at 8:41 am

I can’t think of a more appropriate and/or appetizing dish for St. Patrick’s Day! Delish!!
Betsy Cohen recently posted..Lemon Kiwi Meringue Pie #SundaySupperMy Profile

Hezzi-D March 16, 2014 at 10:53 am

Hmmm… I like potatoes and green beans separately. I’ve never thought to put them together. Sounds great!

Shaina March 16, 2014 at 11:15 am

Putting “Garlickly” at the beginning of any recipe automatically makes it delicious
Shaina recently posted..Edamame Hummus for #SundaySupperMy Profile

Bea March 16, 2014 at 3:13 pm

These beans and potatoes have my name on them. Yum!!!
Bea recently posted..Roasted Broccoli Spinach Salad for #SundaySupper {#Vegan} #EatYourGreensMy Profile

Shannon R March 16, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Yum. This looks like perfect comfort food.
Shannon R recently posted..Amazing Grass Brownies Recipe For #SundaySupperMy Profile

Tracy March 17, 2014 at 1:40 am

I have never thought to put my beans and potatoes together – what a great recipe!
Tracy recently posted..Roasted Asparagus Eggs Benedict With Cajun Hollandaise #SundaySupperMy Profile

Alice // Hip Foodie Mom March 17, 2014 at 5:59 am

Garlicky Italian Green Beans and Potatoes?! yes, please!!! This dish looks fabulous!
Alice // Hip Foodie Mom recently posted..Apple, Spinach and Zucchini Salad for #SundaySupperMy Profile

MealDiva March 17, 2014 at 4:55 pm

You had me at garlic! This would hit the spot right about now! Yum!
MealDiva recently posted..Cheesy Broccoli Baked Potatoes #SundaySupperMy Profile

Christy March 17, 2014 at 7:34 pm

You had me at Ranch House. Ah, memories when food was simple and just needed to be drowned in Ranch House.

Love how you paired the mashed potatoes with the Green Beans, great idea!
Christy recently posted..#SundaySupper – Twice Baked Turkey Pie & Cabbage with Cream and BaconMy Profile

Laura Hunter March 18, 2014 at 6:01 am

I love warm potato salads, this looks fantastic.
Laura Hunter recently posted..Avocado Fries #SundaySupperMy Profile

Laura Dembowski March 18, 2014 at 7:34 am

I love green beans and they are the perfect addition to this potato dish!
Laura Dembowski recently posted..Lime Meltaways #SundaySupperMy Profile

The Ninja Baker March 19, 2014 at 2:54 am

Funny how our tastes change…Although a Ritz Cracker with anything / anyway is pretty great =) And there is nothing like a family recipe. This garlicky potatoes and beans dish is perfect for my husband…and me! Thank you for generously sharing this family treasure.

Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious March 19, 2014 at 6:52 am

I haven’t had that in a million years since my Italian mother made it for us growing up. Onto the menu it goes!
Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious recently posted..Limoncello-Champagne CocktailMy Profile

Anne Papina March 23, 2014 at 8:02 am

So your mom made this too? I always find it amazing to learn that others were served some of the same “odd” Italian dishes I had growing up! It’s as if we’re all connected somehow ;)