Turkey and Black Bean Enchiladas #SundaySupper

by Anne Papina on November 18, 2012

Turkey & Black Bean Enchiladas

In just a few short days, we’ll be stuffed to the gills and unable to even look at another bite of food. I know; I’ve been there. Many times, in fact. One of the great joys of Thanksgiving (besides the time spent with family and friends) is the food, especially the leftovers. This week’s #SundaySupper is all about making the most of your Thanksgiving leftovers, with dozens of recipes below ranging from breakfasts to desserts, and everything in between. My contribution makes good use of that leftover turkey.

You see, in our family, the stuffing rarely makes it to day two, thanks to all night fridge raids. The mashed potatoes are a close second to disappear. Starchy sides go fast around here. Then there’s the turkey. Lots of turkey, oh-so-good in simple sandwiches of white bread, mayo, fresh cranberry sauce, and nothing else. Sure, I could graze on that for days, but eventually most of us want something that doesn’t have the same flavor profile as the Thanksgiving leftovers. That’s where these enchiladas come in.

This is a completely new meal and one we enjoy here year round. Most often I make these enchiladas using one of those rotisserie chickens from the deli. But once I tried them with leftover turkey, there was no turning back. I imagine even leftover pork roast could be subbed in. Did you bake some sweet potatoes? Those could be chopped up and tossed in as well. The content of the filling is really up to you. Sometimes I add chopped onion, today I didn’t … they’re slightly different every time and always a crowd pleaser.

Saveur’s Mexican Rice makes a perfect side, and for refried beans, try this: In a non-stick skillet, add one can S&W Pinquitos (with juice) and one can pinto beans drained. Heat over medium high heat, and mash with a potato masher, cooking until there’s no more liquid. Garnish with some crumbled Queso Fresco, and viola, easy homemade, fat-free refried beans.

Are you hungry? Let’s begin.

enchilada ingredients

Why, yes, that IS a can of Las Palmas enchilada sauce … we’re going semi-homemade here today!  Also note, I used La Tortilla Factory’s hand-made style tortillas as they’re thicker and hold up better than the thinner variety.

enchilada ingredients

The ingredients can be tossed together in no  particular order.  Usually I start with the turkey in a large bowl, then squeeze the lime juice over that and toss, then add the beans, the garlic, the pepper and cilantro.

enchilada ingredients in bowl

Then mix in the 1/2 cup cheese with a little salt and pepper.

enchilada assembly line

Before assembling,  heat the tortillas for about a minute in the microwave (wrap in a damp paper towel).  Spread about a half cup of sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 glass baking dish.

enchilada assembly

On each tortilla, spread on a small amount of the sauce with a spoon (literally just to moisten). Cupping the tortilla in your hand (see above), spoon about 1/3 cup filling into the tortilla, fold both sides over, and place seam side down in the dish.

enchilada assembly

Lining them up neatly in the dish, you should be able to easily fit one dozen.

Turkey & Black Bean Enchiladas

Once the dish is full, pour the remaining sauce over the top, then sprinkle with the remaining cup of shredded cheddar.

Turkey & Black Bean Enchiladas

Bake at 350F for about 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly.

Turkey & Black Bean Enchiladas

Enjoy!

Turkey and Black Bean Enchiladas

These enchiladas make great use of your leftover Thanksgiving turkey and are a perfect any time meal.
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: Mexican
Serves: 6-8
  • 3 cups chopped cooked turkey (or chicken)
  • 1 can (14.5 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 clove garlic crushed/pressed
  • ¼ cup chopped cilantro
  • ½ jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
  • Juice from one lime
  • ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 1 can (28 oz) green chile enchilada sauce
  • 12 corn tortillas
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together turkey, beans, garlic, cilantro, pepper, lime juice, and ½ cup cheese. Salt & Pepper to taste.
  3. Spread about ½ cup enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 glass baking dish.
  4. Wrap the tortillas in a damp paper towel, and microwave for about one minute.
  5. To assemble the enchiladas, cup a tortilla in one hand, spread a small amount of sauce on the tortilla just to moisten. Spoon in ⅓ cup filling mixture, fold the sides over, then place seam side down in the baking dish.
  6. Repeat with each of the remaining tortillas.
  7. Pour remaining sauce evenly over the enchiladas, then top with the remaining shredded cheddar cheese.
  8. Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

Need more ideas for your Thanksgiving leftovers? Check out the line-up below!

Breakfast & Brunch

Main Course

Soups, Salads, Sides & Starters

Sweets & Desserts

Wine Pairings for the Recipes Featured

Please join on us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper on November 18.  In the evening we will meet at 7pm EST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat.

All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag or you can follow us through TweetChat.

We’d also love to feature your recipe for Thanksgiving Leftovers on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board to share them with all of our followers, too.

Laura Hunter November 18, 2012 at 3:43 am

I absolutely love the challenge of finding a recipe that uses up leftovers that makes it a completely new dish and this one just made it to the top of my “to try” list. I love the idea of turning Thanksgiving leftovers into a Mexican dish.
Laura Hunter recently posted..Turkey and Stuffing Pasty #SundaySupperMy Profile

Family Foodie November 18, 2012 at 8:15 pm

What a great idea for Thanksgiving leftovers. These enchiladas look amazing!
Family Foodie recently posted..Thanksgiving Leftovers Casserole #SundaySupperMy Profile

veronica gantley November 18, 2012 at 4:12 am

Generally this is what I do with leftovers. I will next time add the blackbeans.
veronica gantley recently posted..Leftover Turkey and Sausage Gumbo for #SundaySupperMy Profile

Cindys Recipes November 18, 2012 at 4:50 am

Turkey sounds great instead of beef or chicken!
Cindys Recipes recently posted..Skillet Turkey Reuben for #SundaySupperMy Profile

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts November 18, 2012 at 5:53 am

I turn my turkey into enchiladas too – great recipe!
Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts recently posted..Turkey Tamale Pie #SundaySupperMy Profile

Megan - I Run For Wine November 18, 2012 at 6:04 am

I make this with chicken a lot but never thought to use leftover turkey! Great recipe. Happy Thanksgiving!
Megan – I Run For Wine recently posted..Individual Turkey Pot Pie for what to do with Thanksgiving Leftovers #SundaySupperMy Profile

Anne Papina November 23, 2012 at 4:30 pm

It was a huge revelation once I started using the turkey! Hope you had a great holiday too!

CJ at Food Stories November 18, 2012 at 6:52 am

Semi-homemade or not … This looks fabulous :-)
CJ at Food Stories recently posted..Food Story: Joanne & BaklavaMy Profile

Jen @JuanitasCocina November 18, 2012 at 7:04 am

Now THIS is a fabulous way to use up turkey! YUM!
Jen @JuanitasCocina recently posted..Sweet Potato Cinnamon Rolls ~ Thanksgiving Leftovers #SundaySupper!My Profile

Amanda @ MarocMama November 18, 2012 at 7:15 am

Delicious! Thanks for the tip on the tortillas, the ones I buy always seem to fall apart.
Amanda @ MarocMama recently posted..Savory Sweet Potato Bread Pudding #SundaySupperMy Profile

Anne Papina November 23, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I had that problem too for the longest time. I’ve tried various ones too, and the only ones that didn’t seem to work were the blue corn tortillas–for some reason they got really pasty!

Patti November 18, 2012 at 7:21 am

These sound and look awesome! Now I just need the turkey!
Patti recently posted..Thanksgiving Leftovers #SundaySupper – Turkey & Mushroom RisottoMy Profile

Susan 30A EATS November 18, 2012 at 7:25 am

Muy Bueno! Great way to spice up a post Thanksgiving meal!

Susan November 18, 2012 at 7:49 am

Perfect twist on what to do with the turkey! By Saturday, you are definitely looking for some new flavor combinations!
Susan recently posted..Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Shallots and Pancetta #SundaySupperMy Profile

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious November 18, 2012 at 8:18 am

I love the idea of making enchiladas with leftovers! I definitely have to try this this year!
Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious recently posted..Hawaiian BBQ Turkey Flatbread Pizza #SundaySupperMy Profile

Wendy (The Weekend Gourmet) November 18, 2012 at 8:39 am

I love enchiladas any time of year…these make leftovers something to look forward to! Happy Thanksgiving!
Wendy (The Weekend Gourmet) recently posted..#SundaySupper Thanksgiving Leftover Edition…Featuring Turkey Mornay Open-Faced SandwichesMy Profile

Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen November 18, 2012 at 9:07 am

What a great idea! I would have never thought to sub turkey for chicken in my enchiladas! The black beans are awesome too!!
Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen recently posted..Leftover Turkey Soup for What to do with #Thanksgiving #Leftovers #SundaySupperMy Profile

Martin D. Redmond November 18, 2012 at 11:33 am

Why yes, I am hungry! Thanks to you and this great looking recipe!
Martin D. Redmond recently posted..Wines To Pair with Thanksgiving Leftovers #SundaySupperMy Profile

Conni Smith November 18, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Mmmm… these look really, really good! What a great way to put the turkey to use!
Conni Smith recently posted..Kartoffelpuffer – German Potato Pancakes from your Thanksgiving Leftovers | #SundaySupperMy Profile

Sarah November 18, 2012 at 2:14 pm
Sheila Fretz November 18, 2012 at 3:22 pm

What a great way to use your left overs.
Sheila Fretz recently posted..#GlutenFree Tukey Shepard’s Cake for #SundaySupperMy Profile

Carla November 18, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Enchiladas are definitely a great idea! My dad loves to make sandwiches with the leftover meat, so I’ll have to point out making enchiladas instead.
Carla recently posted..Pumpkin Gingersnap Truffles for #SundaySupper Thanksgiving LeftoversMy Profile

Sheila November 18, 2012 at 5:52 pm

These look great! I love enchiladas! I will have to make these. Thanks for sharing.
Sheila recently posted..#SundaySupper: Leftover Mashed Potatoes and Beef CroquettesMy Profile

Amy Kim (@kimchi_mom) November 18, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Y’know…I always turn to sandwiches, but this is a great idea! So easy!
Amy Kim (@kimchi_mom) recently posted..Curried (Leftover) Turkey Salad #SundaySupperMy Profile

The Wimpy Vegetarian November 18, 2012 at 11:07 pm

These look just wonderful!! This is a great idea for leftovers. I always forget about enchiladas, but really love them :-)
The Wimpy Vegetarian recently posted..#SundaySupper: Lentil Stew Shepherd’s PieMy Profile

diabeticFoodie November 19, 2012 at 4:21 am

Great idea! I love enchiladas, but have never made them with turkey. Look forward to trying this.
diabeticFoodie recently posted..Spicy Coconut Turkey Soup for #SundaySupperMy Profile

Jennie @themessybakerblog November 19, 2012 at 5:06 am

This has to be my favorite use of left over turkey. I LOVE enchiladas. Love ‘em! This dish looks so good.
Jennie @themessybakerblog recently posted..Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Banana Muffins~ #MuffinMondayMy Profile

Angela November 19, 2012 at 5:37 am

think that is the best article thet i have read
Angela recently posted..Rio de JaneiroMy Profile

Sarah November 19, 2012 at 6:47 am

This is such a fantastic way to use up leftover turkey. I love this idea. A completely new flavor with the leftovers. I may just grab some extra turkey turkey from my mother in laws dinner just so I can make this the next day. :)
Sarah recently posted..Thanksgiving Hangover Sandwich #SundaySupperMy Profile

Lane @ Supper for a Steal November 19, 2012 at 2:29 pm

This sounds like a terrific way to use up extra turkey! I love all Mexican food, especially enchiladas
Lane @ Supper for a Steal recently posted..Weekly Menu Review for Thanksgiving WeekMy Profile

Liz November 19, 2012 at 5:09 pm

What a marvelous dish! I remember making ham and turkey enchiladas after Thanksgiving when we were newlyweds…they were good, but yours look SO much better! I’ll squirrel away a little turkey to try this next week!

Anne Papina November 23, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Oooh that sounds good–ham & turkey? Maybe I’ll pick up a slice of breakfast ham to make that happen!

Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips November 20, 2012 at 2:55 am

Semi-homemade is perfect after all the cooking that Thanksgiving entails, and these look delicious.
Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips recently posted..Mama Mondays 11-19-12 – New Mama Recharge with @FindUrBalanceMy Profile

Faye Leong November 21, 2012 at 4:27 am

Wow….love those grated cheddar cheese on top! Great recipe!
Faye Leong recently posted..Moroccan Chicken Salad with Rice – Thanksgiving Leftovers #SundaySupperMy Profile

Christi November 21, 2012 at 6:28 am

Perfect thing to make after Thanksgiving! Yum! I wanted to stop by to wish you and your family a happy Thanksgiving!
Christi recently posted..Almond Rice PilafMy Profile

Anne Papina November 23, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Hi Christi! Hope you and your family had a great holiday!

Heather @girlichef November 23, 2012 at 6:14 am

These look awesome! I could go for a batch right now for breakfast :)
Heather @girlichef recently posted..Baked Brie w/ Pistachios & Dried FruitMy Profile

LizP November 23, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Thank you for a great dinner idea! It’s what I just made with our leftover turkey.

Anne Papina November 23, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Hi Liz! Glad you enjoyed it! We had our Thanksgiving today, and I’m so stuffed right now, I can’t even think about the leftovers right now lol

Jeff Young - The Catholic Foodie November 24, 2012 at 9:31 am

Oh my goodness! These enchiladas look ridiculously delicious! Thank you for a delectable idea… This is an absolute must-try recipe.
Jeff Young – The Catholic Foodie recently posted..Pumpkin Coconut Soup: A Perfect And Simple Fall SoupMy Profile