San Diego Style Rolled Tacos #SundaySupper

by Anne Papina on August 25, 2013

San Diego Style Rolled Tacos #SundaySupper | Webicurean

In Southern California, there’s a food phenomenon known as the rolled taco. For whatever reason, “rolled tacos” are exclusive to SoCal. Sure, we see “taquitos” and “flautas” on menus all over, but really, they’re not the same (even if technically they are). Could be in the way they’re prepared–tightly rolled corn tortillas filled with beef or chicken, fried to perfection. More likely it’s in the way they are served–three in a small paper food tray, topped with guacamole and shredded cheese. In any event, when I found out Heather over at girlichef and Bea from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen were co-hosting this week’s Global Street Foods for #SundaySupper, the first thing that came to mind were these rolled tacos.

Now, you’re probably wondering what would a born and raised San Franciscan know about rolled tacos? Well, my quest began at a young age, when my BFF, who was raised in San Diego, would go on and on about these “rolled tacos.”  Eventually, I moved to Del Mar for a few months, spent most of my time in San Diego, and every day was a hunt to find the next rolled taco. Mind you, I wasn’t there just for the tacos, although some days it seemed that way!

Even though Los Angeles likes to lay claim to this delicious treat, the best are in San Diego. And they’re everywhere–just about every restaurant, bar, hole in the wall, and taco truck sells them. One place I visited even had a whole salad bar dedicated to toppings, but purists know, they’re simply served with guacamole and some shredded cheddar cheese on top.

This particular recipe makes great use of leftover chicken. I simply picked up a rotisserie chicken from the local market–although I could have easily roasted a couple of chicken breasts to make the dish. If you’d rather have beef, try this melt-in-your-mouth slow cooker beef barbacoa from the Unsophisticook. Since we try to avoid fried foods as much as possible, I baked these instead of frying, and the end result was just as satisfying, without the extra guilt. Try serving them with Martin’s Easy Mexican Rice for a complete meal.

San Diego Style Rolled Tacos #SundaySupper | Webicurean

Shred the chicken with a fork until you have 3 cups’ worth.

San Diego Style Rolled Tacos #SundaySupper | Webicurean

Shred the cheese.

San Diego Style Rolled Tacos #SundaySupper | WebicureanIn a large bowl, thoroughly mix the chicken with the cheese, crushed garlic, and salsa.  Set this aside.

San Diego Style Rolled Tacos #SundaySupper | WebicureanHeat the tortillas in the microwave–place on a microwave-safe dish, cover with a damp paper towel, and zap for about 30 seconds.  This will make them more pliable so they won’t crack. Spread about 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture across the tortilla, and roll it up tightly.

San Diego Style Rolled Tacos #SundaySupper | WebicureanLine up the rolled tacos on a greased baking sheet. If necessary, secure with toothpicks. Once you’re done, brush lightly with a little olive oil, then pop them in the oven.

San Diego Style Rolled Tacos #SundaySupper | Webicurean

While the taquitos (!) are baking, make the guacamole in a molcajete if you have one. First crush the onion, garlic, and jalapeno in the bowl. Next grind in the cilantro, then mash the avocados in one at a time, until the desired consistency is reached.

Guacamole #SundaySupper | Webicurean

Stir in the lime juice and salt to taste. By the way, to store any leftover guacamole, try this tip for covering it with water.

San Diego Style Rolled Tacos #SundaySupper | Webicurean

Meanwhile, the tacos should be done, so remove from the oven and let cool a bit.

San Diego Style Rolled Tacos #SundaySupper | Webicurean

Enjoy a heaping plate.

San Diego Style Rolled Tacos #SundaySupper | Webicurean

Or two. :)

Here’s the printable version:

San Diego Style Rolled Tacos

These taquitos, or rolled tacos, are filled with a savory blend of chicken and pepper jack, then topped with guacamole for a Southern California treat.
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: Mexican
Serves: 5
  • 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • ¾ cup shredded jalapeno jack cheese
  • ½ cup salsa
  • Corn tortillas
  • Olive oil
  • Shredded cheddar cheese (for garnish)
  1. Preheat oven to 400F.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, garlic, cheese, and salsa. Set aside.
  3. Warm a stack of tortillas covered in with a damp paper towel in the microwave for about 30 seconds. The tortillas need to be hot enough to be pliable but not too hot to the touch.
  4. Spread about 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture straight across the tortilla (as pictured above), then tightly roll up the tortilla.
  5. Please seam side down on a greased baking sheet. If necessary, secure with a toothpick.
  6. Repeat until all of the chicken mixture has been used. (I got about 15 rolled tacos out of it.)
  7. Lightly brush a little olive oil over the top of each rolled taco, and bake 15-20 minutes, or until they start to brown.
  8. Serve hot topped with plenty of guacamole and shredded cheddar.

And here’s the guac:

Guacamole

This creamy guacamole is seasoned with onions, garlic, cilantro, jalapeno and a splash of lime.
Recipe type: Appetizer
Cuisine: Mexican
Serves: 4-6
  • 1 tbsp chopped jalapeno
  • 2 tbsp chopped onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
  • 2-3 ripe avocados, chopped
  • Juice of ½ lime
  • Salt
  1. Finely mash the jalapeno, onion, garlic, and cilantro in a molcajete. Next add the avocados, one at a time, mashing to the desired consistency. Avocados have been small lately, so use 2-3 depending on the size.
  2. Stir in lime juice and salt to taste.
Notes
To keep your leftover guac green, try this tip for covering it with water: http://www.cookistry.com/2013/08/keep-your-guacamole-green.html

Now let’s see all the street foods the rest of the #SundaySupper crew has cooked up!

Bread on the Boulevard

Hand-Held Savory Eats

To-Go Containers

Sweets on the Streets

Grab a Thermos

Sunday Supper MovementSo tell me, what are your favorite (GLOBAL) STREET FOODS?  Do you seek out food trucks, carts, and vendors? Feel free to leave me any links or stories that you may have about Street Food experiences in the comments section.  Also, please join us for our live twitter chat tonight at 7pm (Eastern) using the #SundaySupper hashtag, and check out the Sunday Supper board on Pinterest.

Note: I earn a modest commission on any purchases made via the amazon.com links on this page.

Heather @girlichef August 25, 2013 at 5:47 am

Okay, I’ll admit that “my” rolled tacos are flautas…with the typical Mexican goodies on top. But I would happily eat a container of three SoCal rolled tacos! Seriously, for breakfast. Like, right now. ;)
Heather @girlichef recently posted..Currywurst Mit Pommes {#SundaySupper: Global Street Food}My Profile

Amber @ Mamas Blissful Bites August 25, 2013 at 6:03 am

LOVE this rolled taco and the fact you baked it! Now I want to bake my tacos…too cool. Thank you for sharing!

Jen @JuanitasCocina August 25, 2013 at 6:50 am

I could eat a million of these!
Jen @JuanitasCocina recently posted..Tortas de Milanesa (Pork Cutlet Sandwiches) ~ Global Street Food #SundaySupper!My Profile

Dorothy at ShockinglyDelicious August 25, 2013 at 6:55 am

Want for breakfast right now!
Dorothy at ShockinglyDelicious recently posted..Apple Cinnamon Horseradish Cheddar Grilled Cheese and a #GiveawayMy Profile

Liz August 25, 2013 at 7:05 am

Oh, my, do these look terrific! That guac and cheese topping is PERFECT!!!
Liz recently posted..Feta Chicken Kabobs #SundaySupperMy Profile

Julie @ Texan New Yorker August 25, 2013 at 8:11 am

In Texas we always called these taquitos or flautas, but seeing your pics, I am suddenly not caring what the heck they’re called – now I’m just craving them something fierce! I love that you baked them, too. Yummy!!
Julie @ Texan New Yorker recently posted..Tandoori Chicken Drumsticks #SundaySupperMy Profile

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes August 25, 2013 at 8:22 am

Apparently, you haven’t had street food in CA if you haven’t eaten rolled tacos. They look sooo good, I don’t think three is enough!
Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes recently posted..Chorizo, Chimichurri and Salsa Sandwiches #StreetFood #SundaySupperMy Profile

Bea August 25, 2013 at 9:01 am

Oh yes, these look amazing and I would love to have a couple right now. Thank you so much for sharing :)
Bea recently posted..Schnitzelwecken {Schnitzel on a Bun} for #SundaySupper Global Street FoodMy Profile

Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen August 25, 2013 at 9:20 am

Hehehe I am a San Diego girl. I made beef and you made chicken. I think we are a match made in heaven!!! Love these, they made me drool!
Bobbi Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen*
Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen recently posted..Beef Taquitos for Global Street Food #SundaySupperMy Profile

Tara August 25, 2013 at 10:18 am

I will have mine with extra guacamole please, these look divine!!
Tara recently posted..Poutine for Global Street Food #SundaySupperMy Profile

kathia Rodriguez August 25, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Its so funny because I live in San Diego and I haven’t eating this yet.
kathia Rodriguez recently posted..Sweet Corn Tamale (Tamal Asado) Global Street Food #SundaySupperMy Profile

Martin D. Redmond August 25, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Love, love Mexican food but I must confess I’ve never had a rolled taco. Surprised they haven’t made their way to NorCal. They look great!

Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons August 25, 2013 at 3:34 pm

I’ll actually be in the San Diego area for a wedding this fall, so I will NEED to find some of these :) Can’t wait to try them!!
Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons recently posted..Tandoori Chicken Wraps #SundaySupperMy Profile

Anne Papina August 25, 2013 at 4:52 pm

You shouldn’t have any trouble finding some–they were literally everywhere last time I went!

Micha @ Cookin' Mimi August 25, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Yum! I love taquitos/flautas/rolled tacos especially chicken ones and to add pepper Jack cheese makes them even better.
Micha @ Cookin’ Mimi recently posted..Carnitas Tortas #SundaySupperMy Profile

Soni August 26, 2013 at 5:44 am

Oh these look so good!Didn’t know San Diego sold the best and I was there last summer :( Love that you made these in the oven.I’ll be trying these for sure :)
Soni recently posted..Samosas #GlobalStreetFood #SundaySupperMy Profile

Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere August 26, 2013 at 5:55 am

Yummy! We’ve tried these before, but the corn tortillas always end up cracking, and we end up with a tasty pile of mess. Yours look so beautiful!
Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere recently posted..Roasted Garlic Naan #SecretRecipeClubMy Profile

Anne Papina August 26, 2013 at 6:39 am

Well, you know, a couple of them did crack, but not to the point where the filling spilled out. It’s all in cooking the tortillas first–one technique I saw was to dip the tortillas in simmering broth. Sounded too messy for me, but you could try to see whether that helps!

Megan @ I Run For Wine August 26, 2013 at 6:35 am

YUM! I know what I am making for dinner tonight!!!
Megan @ I Run For Wine recently posted..Chicken Chorizo Street Tacos – #SundaySupper Global Street FoodMy Profile

sippitysup August 26, 2013 at 9:25 am

Perfect “party-style” finger food too. GREG

Anne Papina August 29, 2013 at 12:21 pm

It’s always a good idea to serve hearty fare with all those cocktails!

Renee August 27, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Seriously wishing there were food trucks here in Atlanta where I could get these rolled tacos. Oh well. At least I have your recipe to make them at home. Love that they are simply topped with guacamole and cheese.
Renee recently posted..Peach CobblerMy Profile

The Ninja Baker August 29, 2013 at 1:02 am

Great tip about a damp paper towel to keep the tortilla shells from cracking. And very tasty use of leftover chicken =)

JasmineElla September 9, 2013 at 8:42 am

To see these rolls no one can control themselves without eat
JasmineElla recently posted..Whitefire TheatreMy Profile