Recipe type: Bread
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda ½ tsp salt
- ¼ lb (1 stick) cold, unsalted butter, cut up
- 1 cup cranberries, halved
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp grated orange peel
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and egg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir until blended.
- Add the butter and cut in with a pastry blender or rub with your fingers until the mixture looks like fine granules.
- Add the cranberries, sugar and orange peel, tossing until evenly blended.
- Pour in the buttermilk mixture and stir with a fork until a soft dough forms.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured board and knead for about 30 seconds (really!).
- Form dough into a ball; cut into 8 wedges. Roll each wedge into a ball and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until medium brown.
- Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm with lots of butter.